Thursday, July 28, 2016

My day at Baltusrol

I must say that my first experience as a PGA event volunteer was amazing.  I had a sweet gig and starting on a Wednesday practice day was perfect.  The golfers were less intense and conversation was abundant.
 I got up at 0430 so we could leave at 0500 so that I could catch the shuttle and arrive at the course at 0600.  Our pre planning worked really well and I was at the volunteer sign in at 0605.  The volunteer tent offers a bit of morning fare to get folks going.  There was plenty of donuts, pastries, fruit and coffee.  I salivated over the donuts but had an apple and banana instead.

I signed in, grabbed my radio and left the volunteer tent to walk to my assigned zone.

 Old Glory was in full flight.

The sun was just starting to rise above the trees and the course was beautiful.



I got to number 7 tee and my fellow volunteer and I went about the business of checking all the vehicles.
ALL THE EVACUATION VEHICLES ARE PROVIDED BY MERCEDES BENZ.  THE SPRINTERS (15 PASSENGER VANS) ARE A BIT BIG BUT NOTHING COMPARED TO LEWIS.


Everything checked out and we went about the business of watching golf.  Evacuation committee members are available should there be a stop in play due to weather or other emergencies.  The weather was beautiful so.....
The first pro to come to the 7th was Andrew "Beef" Johnston.  Beef, as he is affectionately called, is a hoot.  He is an English golfer with an amazing knack for working the crowd.  He came through and was the first pro to sign my hat.

I typically do not collect autographs.  It seems a bother to them at times but not today.  Many had their own Sharpies and were signing as much as time would allow.  A few of the big guns blew the fans off but most were great.  I went on to gather quite a few more.
FURYK, HARRINGTON, SINGH, VEGAS, WORTHINGTON II, KAUFMAN, REED and a couple of others.

Most of the golfers were really social and seemed to appreciate the efforts of so many volunteers.  

I switched zones at 1100 and my new spot was perfect for observing and meeting golfers.  I was between the 9th and 10th tee.  My post was the drop off and pick up point for any golfers wanting to start a new nine holes on the 10th or finish after playing 9.  The constant activity made the rest of the day fly by.
Rob had to come around 2 for a bit of hands on training and my shift finished at 3:30.  As I was walking back towards our meeting place, I noticed that they had placed the Wannamaker Trophy on the last footbridge leading to the 18th hole.

My day of golf was awesome.  It was long and hot but what a great experience for a golf fan.

I linked up with Rob.  We made our way to Clark and drove back to the RV. 

We had a spot of dinner and a diner within walking distance.  We got back to Lewis and got the girls ready for their walk.  The sun was setting and the breeze made it very tolerable to be out and about.
SUNSET AT LIBERTY MARINA

Another great day in this thing we call life.


No comments:

Post a Comment