Sunday, July 24, 2016

Liberty Park run and PGA Championship training

Rob and I got up Saturday morning and decided to make our way to Statue o Liberty Park.  The Park is accessible from our site.

It had already gotten hot but there was a bit of a breeze.  That and the scenery made it tolerable.
NYC SKYLINE

ELLIS ISLAND

GOOD MORNING LADY LIBERTY!

We made our way out of the RV park, around the marina and into Statue of Liberty Park.  We took a loop west and went to the end of a fairly long promenade that ran along the water.  We ran past Ellis Island, Lady Liberty, and quite a few other folks out exercising and fishing.  

We ran past one small group and I overheard an older woman in the group exclaim "this is why I love it here.  You can walk, you can run....you can enjoy life!"  She said this with a very thick accent and was speaking to a child.  I thought that she might have immigrated to the United States and that she treasures the freedoms this country allows. Immigration to the US is a privilege....it is not a right.  She seemed to get it.

Ellis Island and the Statue of Liberty are only accessible by boat so we were on the promenade along the water when I took the pictures.  I run with my phone so I can get these shots.  As we came back by Lady Liberty, I remembered a photo of Megan from 2014.
MEGAN IN A NUTSHELL

We stopped at the ferry terminal and went inside looking for water.  We did not find any but we did discover a plethora of people getting tickets to catch the ferry to Ellis Island and the Statue.  It always does my heart good to see so many complete strangers out learning more about the young but very interesting history of this country.

We decided to walk back to the RV and came upon this.
TIME TO GO BACK TO LEWIS

NEW JERSEY 911 MEMORIAL

When we got back to camp, we got cleaned up and headed to Baltusrol Golf Club.   We were both scheduled to pick up uniforms and credentials for the PGA Championship.  We also had a bit of training for our respective volunteer committees.

As my badge notes, I am part of the Contestant Evacuation committee.  I am one of the folks responsible for getting the players and caddies off the course in the event of a stop in play.  Most stops in play are weather related so this is a great fit for me.  We work in zones and each zone covers a set number of holes.  If play does stop, we are there to get them loaded and to the clubhouse.  It is not complicated but does require organization.  The transfer vehicles are big Mercedes Sprinters and SUVs.  Our routes to return to the clubhouse surprised me and I will elaborate after the Championship.

Rob is a laser guy.  His job is to measure the distance from ball to hole once a player has hit from the tee.  I think his job will also be very interesting and right up his alley.

We took turns sitting in the car with the girls. Rob trained and I sat and I trained and Rob sat. We were a bit nervous about leaving them in the RV since it was so hot.  We have 50amp power but the power draw on the region must be huge.  We were a bit concerned with the possibility of rolling blackouts or outages.  Lewis would heat up fast and they would be stuck.
  I witnessed one idiot planning to leave his dog in the car while he trained.  I quickly let him know that he could not do that and helped him figure out a better option.  I know idiot is not nice but his plan to leave his dog in the car in 96 degree temps says it all.

We finished all necessary training and pickups and headed back to the RV park.  Lewis had managed to stay fairly cool and Rob and I decided to take a short jaunt to the walkway along the Hudson River.

  The NYC skyline was beautiful.
IT ALWAYS LOOKS A BIT SURREAL.  PERFECT RANDOMNESS OF SIZE, SHAPE, COLOR

We went to the Hyatt Waterfront and sat for a bit while nursing a cold beer.  We watched people come and go and also watched an emergency event unfold.  It started with one ambulance and police car and became a gaggle of both.  We later learned that the ferry ran into the pier and some passengers were injured.

Our walk back included the sunset and the colors were spectacular.


Our day had been busy and we had managed to meet our commitments while still having good fun.

Another great day in this thing we call life.






No comments:

Post a Comment