We got up Monday and started making our way to south. One of the routes from Erie to Carlisle took us fairly close to the 911 Flight 93 Memorial. We decided to stop.
The Flight 93 Memorial, not unlike the NYC Memorial and the Pentagon Memorial, is quite sobering. I do not think I could ever walk in to any one of these visitor centers and not be moved to tears. Memories flood my mind and my emotions always get the best of me. So many names engraved in stone.
I was particularly touched when I heard a father try to explain to his little boy why one lady's name also included "and her unborn child." I saw the little boy wrestle with the concept and heard him ask his dad "does that mean that the baby died too?" Kudos to his dad for being so patient and answering so honestly.
The National Park that they have established is lovely. It is not overdone and is actually quite peaceful. The emotional impact of the visitor center can be countered by a walk to the actual Memorial site. Fields of wildflowers surround the area and the blue skies and breezes of the day were medicinal.
THE SITE OF IMPACT
THE WALL WITH THE NAMES OF THE VICTIMS
THINGS LEFT BY VISITORS
We left the Memorial and continued our journey to Carlisle. We went just a bit down the road and decided to stop for gas.
As Rob was pulling out, the curb between the parking lot and the main road was deeper than he realized. Lewis gave a bit of pitch and just as I turned to look towards the back, the dish cabinet flew open and The Great Dish Incident was in full swing. It all happened pretty fast and a few bowls and a couple of glasses shattered. We quickly pulled over, made sure the girls stayed away and went about cleaning up the mess. Rob was frustrated but I was just happy that no one got hit with a dish and we only lost a few bits here and there. I had secured the cabinet doors with a zip tie but the abruptness of the pitch just sent the glass bowls in forward motion and the zip tie gave way. I will now secure with a zip tie and a bungee cord. We had already discussed getting rid of most of the breakables and since some of the breakables are now broken, it is a no brainer. All in all, no big deal.
We made it to Carlisle and checked in to our site. We set up the motorhome and got the girls settled.
We had already planned to eat at the Hoovers so we made our way there. As always, the food was fab and the company was even better.
We finished our day with a bit of TV and the Tour de France.
Another great day in this thing we call life.
No comments:
Post a Comment