Monday, July 4, 2016

A beast of a run, a local Lion's Club pancake breakfast and golf

Sunday morning hosted us, once again, to sunshine and cool temperatures.  Summer mornings with low humidity, sun and cool air are perfect for running.

Rob and I decided to take a short drive to the village of Empire and get a few miles under us before it got too late.  We parked on Main Street and got things going.  We came to a road that said it was seasonal but figured it was fine for a summer run.  The road started going uphill and uphill it stayed.  I passed a walker and asked her where it led and she told me it went to the Empire Bluffs trail head.  I love hills but I like knowing what is at the top.  We had hiked this trail so we decided to keep going.  Once we got to the trail head, we continued and made our way to the bluffs.  We knew it would continue uphill but we knew what was at the end.

The view was inspiring and the way back was much easier.  The trail was rolling hills but the road back to town was a downhill glide.  We finished tired but extremely satisfied.

Earlier in the week, we saw a sign for a Lion's Club pancake breakfast.  We had planned to go and now we post run motivated.  We drove to another little village called Lake Ann and it was hopping.  It was a great example of "if you cook it, they will come." (a slight modification from "Field of Dreams.")  We paid, made our way to the basement and had eggs, sausage links and pancakes fresh off the griddle.  We sat with some locals and heard  all about their families.  The Boy Scouts were working the room with juice, syrup and coffee.  We are huge fans of local pancake breakfasts and this was one for the books.  Great food and nice people.

We drove back to camp and the girls made us feel like we had cheated them.  They could obviously smell our breakfast and were looking for their bit.  We did not bring them even one smidgen and they gave us a bit of a talking to.

We sat outside for a bit and soaked up the late morning sun.  The girls were absolutely content to just lie on the cool pavers.  Annie was even more content if I held her.
THE EPITOME OF A LAP DOG


After a bit of outside time, we decided to head just a half mile down the road to the Dunes Golf Course.  We took the girls for a walk, put them inside and loaded the clubs.  The Dunes is a nice casual course.  The fairways are a bit tight with trees on both sides but the distances are not long.  I was just happy that I did not lose a ball and did not have a "bad" hole.  I had not played in over a year but really enjoyed the round.  Rob is a much better golfer than I am but I manage to keep up.  We had no one in front of or behind us so it made for an easy nine holes.

We got back to the RV and spent a bit of time deciding if we wanted to go to Leland to watch fireworks.  We'd had a long hard run, a pancake breakfast and golf.  Leland was a bit of a drive and it would probably be crowded.  We voted no.  We did go to Glen Arbor for a bite to eat.
I SAW THIS IN GLEN ARBOR.  IT ALWAYS CRACKS ME UP

HOPS

We had driven past this field many times and I was very curious as to what was being grown.  The poles are 12-15 feet tall and they are connected by rope.  It made me think of huge string beans.  I finally answered my own question when I saw a smaller version of this at a micro brewery.  This is a field of Hops.  Hops are an integral part of the brewing of beer.  I personally do not like a beer that is really hoppy but many do.  
We spent the rest of our evening watching the Tour de France.  I do not know how they ride bikes for 21 days in a row much less go up and down mountains.  The finish was a nail biter.  We had a window open and someone shot some fireworks.  What a deal....we did not have to go anywhere and we still got to see fireworks!

Another great day in this thing we call life.


No comments:

Post a Comment