Sunday, July 3, 2016

Dune climb, meeting new people and Penny meets Suttons Bay

We got up Saturday morning and headed to Sleeping Bear Dunes Scenic Drive.  The scenic drive has 10 visitor stops and number 9 is a great dune overlook.  It is also a great place to take the dune down to shores of Lake Michigan.  Visitors are warned that the climb back up is difficult and could take two hours.  It also warns that rescue is expensive.

I got someone to snap a picture of us at the top and we were on our way.  We did not try to stay together.  We typically approach things like this differently.  If you know us, you probably know what I mean.

READY TO TAKE ON THE DUNE

We got to the bottom and spent a few minutes looking around and I took a few pictures.
THIS DUNE IS TALLER THAN THE ONE I CLIMBED THE OTHER DAY.   THE APPROACH IS MORE STRAIGHTFORWARD AND NO TRAVERSING WAS NECESSARY.

THE BEAUTIFUL SHORELINE

ROB LOOKING SMALL AGAINST THE DUNE

We headed up and decided to go at our individual pace.  It was tough but not two hours tough.  Once we were both at the top, we caught our breath and made our way to Glen Arbor for a late breakfast.

We got a table outside and as we waited for our meal, I struck up a conversation with two women and a young man at the table next to us.  The boy was very excited about an upcoming trip to Spain.  He had just graduated from HS and he and a friend, who happened to be our server and the son of one of the two women, were going to Spain on Wednesday. 
 My friend Isabel is from Madrid so I offered to text her and ask for a bit of information.  One of the moms, Jennifer, gave me her card. I promised to email her when I heard from Isabel.  She did text me with some Madrid high points and I emailed Jennifer.  She said if I FB'd her, she would be giving updates on the boys.  It sounds a bit busy when I write about it but I love meeting new people and making connections.  I hope the boys have a wonderful time!

Breakfast was delicious and we offered well wishes to our new friends and we went back to to the RV to get the girls.  We decided to drive to Suttons Bay to take a walk, get Penny Lane in the water and check out a micro brewery.

As we were driving, we were lucky enough to catch a portion of a Blue Angels demo that was happening in Traverse City.
WOW


We were in a moving car and they were going really, really fast so the photo ops were few and far between.  I got nauseous just watching them.  I do not know how they manage to endure the G's they  pull.  I know they are trained and they have special suits and such but I am still amazed.  Traverse City was packed with spectators.  The sides of the road and the Bay were full of thousands of folks with their eyes to the sky.

Suttons Bay is about 17 miles from Traverse City.  It is a beautiful little town and the waterfront is so inviting.  Penny Lane took this invitation to heart and started whining as soon as she saw it.  We got out of the car and found a nice little public dock.  We got Penny's 30 foot leash and a stick and happiness ensued.

COWABUNGA

JUST KEEP SWIMMING, SWIMMING, SWIMMING

Penny had her swim and we took a good walk along the Leelanau trail.  The walk took us through town and we were hoping to come across a side trail that would lead us to the micro brewery. It was not to be but the walk did give  Penny chance to dry.  Little Annie Belle had to ride in the pack since her foot is still sore.
HITCHING A RIDE WITH DAD

We walked back to the car and drove to the micro brewery.  No dogs allowed on the premises so no beer was to be tasted.  No worries.  We visited a new town, dog tested a new body of water and got a good walk.
Our trip back to camp was uneventful and we tried a different route.  It kept us out of the Air Show traffic and offered new sights. One of the great things about RVing is that it offers so many opportunities to explore.  Good maps and time make for an explorer's dream.  
  
  We had a good dinner and some wine from the tasting room we visited.  

The sand man was calling.  

Another great day in this thing we call life.



No comments:

Post a Comment