Saturday, July 30, 2016

More golf and stupid rules

I had another great day at the golf course.  It was hot and it was mobbed but it was fun.



 Things change on tournament days. Tournament days are about competition not practice.  Tournament days are serious days for these golfers.  If you do not do well, you do not get paid.  Thursday and Friday are the days that decide if a golfer makes the cut.  It is so simple but at the same time so very hard.

If a golfer makes it to a tournament like this then he has skills.  You just do not get here on a whim.  The maddening thing about golf is that a golfer may have had the best game of his life one day and the worst the next.  One hole can lift a golfer's confidence and psyche to the pinnacle of positive while the next can have him wanting to walk off the course.
GOLF IN A NUTSHELL

 I think that what separates the pros from the weekend wannabes is that they just keep going.

Golf skills are a must but golf is also a head game.  A golfer has to keep doing what he knows he can do even when he is doing it poorly.  Giving up is an option but it will not lead to success in golf.

Having said all this about golf, it can be fun.  Most golfers should play with the intent of having a good time.  Doing well is great but a layman's day should never be ruined by a bad game of golf.  Golf is a game of peaks and valleys and it is hard.  I am thankful that I now understand this.  I have always loved playing the game but I now ENJOY it.

My day in Zone 1 was just amazing.  I watched the groups approach 6, putt out and tee off of 7.  The pros were pros and most of the fans were good golf fans.
 I did start to notice that alcohol was making for a few "arm chair" pros.  If I were the PGA king, I would change a few rules for those attending.
1.  I would limit the amount of alcohol each person could purchase.  The drunks were obnoxious.
2.  keep your nasty smokes away from non smokers.  The guys smoking cigars, drinking giant beers and spitting....you were gross.
3.  Watch your language.  There were so many little ears and eyes at this tournament.  The "F" word was being flung around with way too much volume and enthusiasm.  I feel this way about most sporting events but golf is a fairly quiet sport so the crude and obnoxious are easier to hear.

All in all, it was a great day.  I got to see lots of golf, I was able to answer all patron questions and I did not drop anything into the porta potties.

  I also got a gluten free brownie.

I finished my shift and turned in the keys and radio.
GORGEOUS VIEW AS I AM WALKING BACK 

  I walked off the course and Rob picked me up a few blocks away from the course.  We decided to try this instead of the shuttle bus.  It was much better.

We stopped at a lake on the way home and took the girls for a walk.  They were so happy.  They had mom and dad and the sun had set enough to cool it off a bit.
SUNSET IN THE REAR VIEW MIRROR

We got back to camp and got the girls settled.  We had not eaten so we decided to try a place called Surf City.  It was close and seemed very popular.  I still had my golf stuff on but I did not want to take the time to change.  It was getting late and we both were ready for dinner.  We walked over to Surf City and as we walked in, a guy at the door told me that I could not go in with my hat.  I started to remove it and he told me that I could not even carry my hat .  NO HATS!  No hats on head, no hats in hand.  He told me that my hat had to be taken back to the car or wherever.  I am not a hat fanatic but this is stupid.  If you have hat rule, then have a hat check.  Do not send potential customers away because you have a blanket rule.  I am sure this rule is associated with some type of hat wearing gang crap but use a little imagination folks.  How hard can it be?  Did I take my hat back and go in?  Absolutely not!  We ate somewhere else.  I am a rule follower.  I believe in rules but some are just too stupid for me to give in to.

We got back to the RV, showered and crashed.  Rob the laser dude has a long Saturday shift.

Another great day in this thing we call life.



No comments:

Post a Comment