Tuesday, April 5, 2016

Weather, dogs and an eyepoke

I love the weather.  I love to study it and watch it unfold.  That being said, mother nature is quite the trickster.  Spring is no exception.  Warm and sunny one day and cold and windy the next.  Throw in some rain and snow you get weather stew.  Today is a classic spring day.   Coldish at 32 degrees but winds from the north at 20mph so the wind chills bite.  I see today being a bit of an inside day.

Rob and I were out with Penny and Annie on Sunday and we met two dogs named Jasmine and Daisy.  Jasmine is a huge, sweet Great Dane and Daisy is an adorable little mixed breed.  Penny was fascinated by Jasmine but they both made themselves known and we moved on.  As usual, the humans never exchanged names.

Fast forward to Monday.  Rob had gone to work and I was in the RV working on a space saving idea. I looked out the window and saw Jasmine's mom walking towards Lewis with a bloody face and hands.   I met her at the door and she said that she thought she might need to go to the ER.  I quickly secured the RV, made sure she had her military ID, and off we went.  I know the ID things sounds a bit silly but my experience is that if you show up in the ER and you are breathing, you better have your ID.  As we were on the way, she explained that she was working outside and Jasmine and Daisy were outside with her.  The were leashed and hooked to the camper.  I guess Jasmine got excited and started pulling on her leash.  This caused something on the camper to come loose and the end result was a U shaped piece of metal becoming a projectile.  Said projectile went right into Jasmine's mom's eye.  I did finally ask dog  mom what her name  was and she said it was Kristen.  I got Kristen to the ER and we had to STAND IN LINE to get checked in.  At this point, Kristen is wobbly and she told me that she could not see out of the injured eye.  I raised my hand a bit and pointed to her eye and a really nice nurse finally noticed and got her in a chair and got her prepped.  We then had to go sit in the waiting room.  Kristen's husband showed up(he was at work) took over.  I spoke with them briefly yesterday evening and Kristen was to return to the doc this morning.  They are going to decide if surgery is necessary.  Anyway, my fascination with anything medical was a huge help because it was really gross.  Kristen was incredibly brave and poised and I hope her eye heals soon.

Another plus to having dogs.....they help folks connect.

No comments:

Post a Comment