Wednesday, April 6, 2016

Change

No....Not two dimes and a nickel for a quarter.

Change as in making something different than it was.

Change is good and, most of the time, I love change.   As much as I love new things, some things are fine just the way they are.

 One of my real pet peeves as a runner is how shoe companies change shoe models.  If you run or walk as a means of exercise, you know how important is is to find a good shoe.  Once you find that good shoe, you become one with it.  You look for that shoe when it it is time to go out and become one with the endorphin spirits.  One day, as you are out with your shoe, you realize that it needs to be replaced.  This realization can take the spring right out of your step so you do the math to make sure. "300-400 miles on a pair of shoes......30 miles a week.....I got these in November and it is now......April......Crap!"  Not only do you need new shoes but you needed them a couple of months ago.  Stage front to that knee/hip/back pain that your were wondering about.

Next comes the hunt for YOUR SHOE.  Not just a Brooks or an Asics but a Brooks Adrenaline GTS 12 (extinct but one of my favs) or an Asics whatever.  You quickly realize that your shoe has been sent out to pasture and that you are screwed.  You GOOGLE your shoe, you go to Zappos, you go to Amazon....you burn the net looking for your shoe.  If you have really, really small feet or maybe larger than average feet, you might find your shoe on the first go round. You might even find your shoe on the "endangered list" on Road Runner Sports.  If you have average sized feet, then your shoe is probably GONE and you resign yourself to "moving up" to the next model number.  Eventually, that next model is nothing like the shoe that made your feet go pitter patter.  You start the stages of grief for your shoe.  "I can wear these a bit longer, I understand why the company changed my shoe....(all lies)" and finally "I am pissed with the company for changing my shoe so drastically that I can no longer run in it."  You are no longer one with YOUR SHOE.

A small thing in this big world but it can truly be a pain.




No comments:

Post a Comment