Monday, April 18, 2016

Beach run with my hunny, lizards and a woodpecker family

Rob and I got up Sunday morning to a beautiful spring day.  The sun was bright and the humidity was still low.  We decided to get in a good run and even took a debit card so we stop at Starbucks on the way home and get a treat.  We headed down to the beach and ran north to the Cocoa Beach Pier.

                       WE SORT OF HAD THE BEACH TO OURSELVES....NORTH AND SOUTH


This pier had definitely evolved since I was a little kid.  If you did not know it, I was born in Florida at Patrick Air Force Base which is one city down the coastline from Cocoa Beach.  I lived here when folks could drive a car onto the beach, unload the trunk and spend the day just hanging out.  It was also a time when we had no idea that long term sun exposure could make a mess of your skin so I just have to cross my fingers on that one.
We turned at the pier and ran south until we got to Starbucks.  Starbucks is next to RonJon's Surf Shop.  RonJon's is a pretty cool place and is absolutely full of beachy, outdoor stuff.  Have a visit if you ever make it to this area.
The girls were waiting for us when  we got back to the house and we took them for a walk.  We went back to the point to see if there were any dolphins.  We were not disappointed.  They were abundant and they were fishing.  Rob and I are certain that one particular dolphin came up, started to go under but then saw us and jerked his head back up and made eye contact.  No kidding.  They knew we were there but they were in no hurry to leave.  I hope I never get tired of watching them.
Rob was going to go see Sam at his Assisted Living Facility (ALF) and we decided that he should take Penny Lane Carr.  We were not sure how she would behave but as wild as she can be, she seems to sense when it is necessary for her to be calm.  I did not go but Rob said she was perfect and that the residents just loved her.  Good for Penny.
While he was gone, I was outside and noticed a woodpecker family busily working in an old Palm tree trunk at the house next door.  I got my new Nikon with the awesome lens and started taking photos.  It was amazing just watching them work.






I also got a few shots of a local lizard.  The lizards are all over the place around here and are great mosquito control.

I THINK THEY LOOK LIKE TINY LITTLE DRAGONS




We spent the rest of the evening visiting my dad and his wife.  They live in Cocoa, Florida which is just across the Banana and Indian Rivers.  Had a really nice visit!

No comments:

Post a Comment