Saturday, April 2, 2016

Bull Run and Bluebells

It is days like today that make me giddy with anticipation.  The anticipation of our upcoming adventures with Lewis and Clark.

We woke up to rain and wind so we did the boring stuff.  Laundry, taxes and other chores.   The sun came out by noon so we decided to take a drive out to Bull Run Regional Park in Manassas, VA.  We have never visited the park but knew that there is a campground so we wanted to check it out.

The park is lovely.  Very clean and the staff at the main building are very nice.  We decided to take the girls out for a walk and noticed a trail marked "Bluebell Trail."  What a beautiful sight.  The trail starts on a slightly elevated boardwalk and then winds along the Bull Run River.  The land along the river is a floodplain so the ground structure is always changing.   The area is perpetually damp due to seasonal flooding and flowers like the Blue Bell flourish.  The greens, purples and pinks were brilliant.  What we had planned as a recon of a potential campground turned into an amazing pallet of spring colors.(IF YOU CLICK ON THE PHOTOS, YOU CAN  SEE LARGER INDIVIDUAL VIEWS)

Rob and I finished our day with dinner out.  We have driven past a restaurant called Da Franco Trattoria so many times and we have commented that we needed to try it.   When I say many times, I mean many times.  Like since 2005 or 2006 time frame.  The atmosphere is perfectly Italian and the food is delicious.  It is clear that it is a local favorite.  BTW  it is in Alexandria, VA.

                                    ELEVATED BOARDWALK NEAR THE TRAILHEAD

                                          BLUEBELLS ALONG THE BULL RUN RIVER

                                           GORGEOUS PINKS, PURPLES AND GREENS
                  THE LITTLE WHITE FLOWERS ARE CALLED CUTLEAF TOOTHWORT

                  THE FOREST BED IS JUST COVERED IN THEM AND THE WORD ON THE                                STREET IS THAT THE SEASONAL FLOODING MAKES THIS POSSIBLE

                                            THEY ARE EVERYWHERE AND SO THICK

                                                                   AND VIBRANT


                                               ANOTHER VIEW ACROSS THE RIVER

                                                       THE COMMON BLUE VIOLET

2 comments:

  1. I think this is where Anne and I ran the Bull Run 50 miler. There were bluebells everywhere!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That would make sense. They were gorgeous! The colors were so bright. There is a 12 mile hike that rob and I want to do when we stay there.

    ReplyDelete