Thursday, June 9, 2016

Blackwater Falls State Park, WV, dung beetle and bear

It was 52 degrees when we got up on Wednesday morning.  The feel like temp was 47 because the wind was blowing.  52 is not cold but 52 in June is a bit unusual so it seemed cold.
Rob and I took a little extra time getting ourselves going but finally made it out the door to go for a run.  We drove the car to Elkins and decided to make a loop around the area.  There is a small college called Davis and Elkins College and it sits way on top of a hill.  Rob just loves hills (not) but we made a good go of it and looped back around to the car.
I had spotted a beautiful church with a most unusual roof.  I am pretty sure the photos do not do it justice but it is amazing.  I will have to add the photo later.  Wifi is poor and I cannot get it to send from my phone.

We finished our run and headed back to Lewis and the girls.  Our destination for the day was Blackwater State Falls.

Blackwater Falls State Park is located in the Allegheny Mountains of Tucker CountyWest Virginia, USA. The centerpiece of the Park is Blackwater Falls, a 62-foot (19 m) cascade where the Blackwater River leaves its leisurely course inCanaan Valley and enters rugged Blackwater Canyon. It is among the most photographed venues in the state and appears on calendars, stationery, advertisements of all kinds and, most famously, on jigsaw puzzles. The River is named for its tannins-darkened water.


Access to the falls is pretty easy.  It is a short walk down different staircases with several viewing platform choices.  As usual, Penny Lane was a happy girl.  She loves her walks!

After viewing the falls, we got back into the car and headed to a trail head.  The trail we had chosen goes through some pretty dense forest with a gorge on one side and woods on the other.  The trail is well worn but narrow.  It was still quite cool outside so it made for perfect hiking conditions.  Our destination was the end of the trail and a natural viewing platform.  Before we got to the trail, I saw this dung beetle doing his day's work.
TRULY A CRAPPY JOB BUT HE WAS PERFORMING IT WITH GREAT ENTHUSIASM.
WEST VIRGINIA NEVER CEASES TO SURPRISE ME WITH ITS LANDFORMS.  THE GORGES ARE QUITE A SIGHT TO SEE AND THE FORESTS ARE REALLY, REALLY DENSE.


As we were walking on this cool, dense and narrow trail, I thought to myself "I'll bet there are lots of bears in these woods."  Lo and behold, we popped into a clearing and we saw a bear and the bear saw us.
NOT MY BEST PICTURE BUT I DID NOT TAKE TIME TO GET HIM TO POSE FOR ME.

The bear stood up on his back legs and got a good look at us.  He was dropping to his all fours to investigate when I snapped the picture.  I knew the rules of never run from a bear so we just started walking in the opposite direction.  As soon as we were out of his sight, we picked up the pace and hustled back to our car.  Little Annie became a football and I carried her like a fullback trying to score a touchdown.  I was a little careless in that I only used one hand to hold her but I did not fumble.  When we got back to the car, Rob and I looked at each other, laughed and gave each other a high five.  He divulged to me that he had had the same bear thoughts.  We both agreed that we could have easily given the dung beetle more work material had we come face to face with this bear on the narrow part of the trail.  Twas a grand adventure for two fifty somethings.

Back at the camp, we opened two Coronas, toasted our day and sat by the river.
Another great day in this thing we call life.

1 comment:

  1. We spent a lot of time in that area and visited Blackwater Falls every time. It's a beautiful area. Have you been to Dolly Sods? Enjoy

    ReplyDelete