Monday, June 6, 2016

A mother's imagination and moving day.

I will step away from my travel for a few lines and go on a bit about being a mother with children who are also afflicted with Wanderlust.
THE LIGHTS OF MY LIFE



When our son Robb was 19, he graduated from Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute (RPI).  Robb graduated with a degree in computer science and I was immensely proud.



ROBB AT GRADUATION

As a graduation gift, we arranged for Robb to fly to China (do you notice a pattern?) to spend two months studying a game called GO.  He did the arranging and we helped finance the adventure.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Go_(game)
Wikipedia
Go (traditional Chinese: 圍棋; simplified Chinese: 围棋; pinyin: wéiqí; Japanese: 囲碁; rōmaji: igo [nb 2]; Korean: 바둑; romaja: baduk [nb 3]; literally: "encircling game") is an abstract strategy board game for two players, in which the aim is to surround more territory than the opponent.

He had discovered the game and enjoyed the challenge involved with getting really good at it.  Besides that....going to China would be cool.
I remember taking Robb to Dulles International Airport and watching him walk out of my sight towards the security checkpoint.  My worry began and did not end until he walked through the customs doors two months later.  I did not let my worry impact my day to day but it was always there. 
 I had always promised myself that I would not let my maternal worries keep my children from living their lives.  I do believe there are times to step in and proclaim "Absolutely not!" but those times are few and far between.
Robb returned unscathed and much learned about GO and the Chinese culture.  It was a Wanderlust success.  Robb has gone on to become a computer science engineer at GOOGLE and he is a very happy camper.
MY AMAZING SON ROBB

Fast forward five years and my daughter Megan and I are texting and she lets me know that she is working on an application for an Internship for the summer of 2016.  I ask where and she tells me Beijing.  I immediately replied that that was awesome and her dad and I threw in our full support.  Megan interviewed for the position and it was set.  She would leave for Beijing in June.
So....same thing.....different child.  I stood at Dulles International Airport yesterday and watched her disappear down an escalator as she made her way towards the security checkpoint.

Reasonably priced communications have improved greatly in the last five years so Megan and I were able to download an app that would allow us to text internationally.  Megan used the app this morning at 0240 to let me know that she had landed.  She said she was having problems with her phone and she was in the customs line.  The last line I got was "talk later."  That was enough to allow me to breathe easier but By 0640, the talk later had not happened and my motherly imagination began to accelerate.  Had she had a problem at customs?  Had she not been able to find her people?  The list is longer but it is also embarrassing so I will not elaborate further.

  Moms can imagine the most ridiculous scenarios when it comes to what could happen in any given situation.  There are so many worry options to choose from:   The Car Crashed In A Ditch, The Mugged in an Alley, The Stopped at Customs and Questioned (my current favorite)...the list goes on and on.

My children have rarely given me cause to truly worry.  They are consistently considerate and make reasonable efforts to let me know they are well and happy.  I do not expect them to keep in touch all the time.  I know they have lives and I absolutely want them to live them to the fullest.  With all that being said, I worry. 

I finally got a short note from Megan's contact.  She was picked up, is doing great and getting ready to sit down to a company dinner.  My stomach is now unclenched and I am so excited for her.  I know I will always worry but I hope that I always do it with prudence and consideration.
MY GIRL IN BEIJING

Today is moving day!  We are off to West Virginia for a week along the river.  We hope to hike, bike and enjoy living the day at hand.
Another great day in this thing we call life.

No comments:

Post a Comment