As the sun did show itself, we got into the car with The Boathouse Vineyard tasting room as our goal. Rob had researched the options for vineyards in the area and this particular Vineyard was a Riesling producer. We like Rieslings. We do not pretend to know much about wine but we know what we like.
THE SITTING AREA AND BACK PORCH VIEW FROM THE WINE TASTING BAR
The Boathouse is one of 26 vineyards in the Leelanau Peninsula Wine Region. A guy named Bernie Rink started the wine industry by planting a test vineyard in 1964. The location of the Leelenau Peninsula's 45th Parallel is the same parallel as the renowned Bordeaux and Cotes du Rhone regions of France and the Piedmont region of Italy. As a result of this observation and subsequent test vineyard, more than 50% of Michigan's grapes grow in the Grand Traverse region and 25% on the Leelenau Peninsula. The choices are abundant. Once again....Michigan surprises me.
A MAP OF THE WINE REGION
The tasting room was an interesting and educational experience. The lady who helped us was so kind and seemed pleased that we readily admitted our lack of knowledge on the subject. She was happy to answer all our questions about the wines and things to do in the area. We left with three different bottles of Reisling.
Our next stop was the tiny fishing village of Leland.
Our very helpful pourer at the wine tasting room had suggested Leland, aka fishtown for lunch. We went to a place called the Cheese Shanty and had amazing sandwiches. I am not much of a foodie but this was an awesome sandwich. Chicken (real breast meat) spinach, brie, dried cranberries, lettuce, sunflower seeds and a cherry vinegarette. Nomnom.
We left fishtown and took the girls for a walk at a place called Pyramid Point. The trail was not too long and was nice and wide. Rob's foot was much better but we did not want to push it.
HEADING UP THE TRAIL
THE END OF THE TRAIL
Pyramid point ends at the top of a huge sand dune. I think I described one in another blog. These dunes are quite steep and go all the way to the shores of Lake Michigan. There is a sign posted that cautions against going down because of the two hours it can take to come back up. I was not even considering going down until I saw a young couple making their way down. I asked if they had done it before and they said they had. I gave them a few minutes so they would not thing I was following them and I was on my way.
GOING DOWN
DOWN
DOWN
It is steep enough that I quickly disappeared from Rob's view. I made it down in just a few minutes. The last 50 yards dropped off a bit so I had to go horizontal to the beach until I could find better footing.
ALL THE CHUNKY AND HARD LOOKING AREA HAD TO BE TRAVERSED VS GOING STRAIGHT DOWN.
I saw the young couple on the bottom and she took a picture for proof.
AT THE BOTTOM
JUST BEAUTIFUL
I got my feet wet and started back up. I did not want Rob to worry. I knew he would if he could not see me for an extended period. I went back up using a bear walk kind of method. I was hesitant to stand straight up since it was so steep.
I hustled back up and realized that I had made it down and back in 19 minutes. Rob was surprised but happy to see me. I was spent and really winded but I had an endorphin rush like I had not had in quite a while. It does take a good amount of effort but if it takes two hours, it is probably not something you should do. Rob estimated it was 25+ stories tall and I think it is worth the effort if you are in decent to good shape.
We returned to camp just in time to watch Shark Week.
Another great day in this thing we call life.
The dunes look beautiful, I'd like to try sometime. Also tell dad that his shorts aren't allowed to be shorter than mine :)
ReplyDeletelove,
Meg
We've been to Leland and vacationed in the area (Grand Traverse Bay) years ago. Found Petosky stones in the water. COOL fossils!
ReplyDelete