We were in extreme southwest Texas and we had to get back to Denver for Saturday departures. Once again, we saddled up (minus horses) and started driving. It was by no means our longest day in terms of mileage but the ride seemed so long. I think the constant adrenaline rush of the previous four days had finally run its course and left us all a bit tired and sore.
Our Thursday destination was Amarillo Texas and the Big Texan Steakhouse. It was very much what I expected. A huge dining area with tons of tables and copious amounts of animal heads hanging on the walls. Not a place for a vegetarian but a good place to get a steak. It was a great place for our group and the service was exceptional especially considering the large group we had. We were taken from our hotel to the steakhouse in true Texas style. We were picked up by limos complete with Texas longhorns on the hood.
A RIDE OVER WITH NEW FRIENDS IN A TOTALLY TACKY LIMO WITH HORNS ON THE HOOD
We followed our dinner with a look in the gift shop and a bit of fudge tasting. We got a ride back and everyone was truly done for the day.
Our Friday journey was broken up a bit by a stop at Capulin volcano
.https://www.nps.gov/cavo/
Capulin Volcano National Monument is a U.S. National Monument located in northeastern New Mexico which protects and interprets an extinct cinder cone volcano that is part of the Raton-Clayton Volcanic Field. We took a fairly steep and narrow road to the parking area and visitors are allowed the opportunity to walk to the center of the volcano and around the rim. Very interesting and the views were spectacular.
A LOOK UP FROM THE CRATER. IT WAS NOT TOO DEEP. A STEEP WALK BUT A GOOD LOOK FROM THAT VANTAGE POINT
I also found other things of interest. Lots of fuzzy looking cactus that would probably leave one picking things out for days should she get too close.
I WOULD HAVE LOVED IT IF THEY WERE BLOOMING BUT IT JUST WASN'T TIME
I ALWAYS ENJOY FINDING PRETTY THINGS GROWING OUT OUT OF ENVIRONMENTS THAT WOULD APPEAR TO BE NON SUSTAINING.
Everyone got a good leg stretch and we took a group picture. Back to the vans and off to Denver. We stopped for gas and snacks and our two of our van mates were quick to grab an ice cream. Dave and Claire are a lovely couple from England and I really enjoyed getting to know them. I introduced Dave to Cow Tales candies and I can see him making multiple purchases before they head back to England.
We finally arrived in Denver and checked in for our final night. A good crowd of us met later in the evening and discussed the ups, downs and laughs of the week.
Storm chasing is very cool. It is not for the fussy. It is many hours of riding and involves stopping for "food" at some gas station in the middle of nowhere. While we did manage to make most of our pee stops where there were actual toilets, it was not always assured. The adrenaline rush is just awesome but I am sure it is not for everyone. I had fun and met some really nice folks. Some from England, one from South Africa, two from Australia, a few Canadians and US citizens from one coast to the other.
On a short side note. My trip last year was cut short by the death of my brother. I was fleetingly sad on the 31st but that is the day we saw this jewel of a supercell. Life does happen doesn't it?
Another great day in this thing we call life.
No comments:
Post a Comment