Friday, June 24, 2016

Moving Day, Indigo Bluffs, Sleeping Bear Dunes and Traverse City ER

I will start with the Traverse City ER bit even though it is the last thing we did Thursday night/Friday morning.
 Rob was diagnosed with gout when he was deployed to Afghanistan in 2009.  Gout can flare with little or no warning and that is what happened Thursday.  He started complaining of foot pain and that went from 0 to OUCH really fast.  He wanted to "tough it out" until Friday morning but I said "no way!"
It was 10pm and we loaded the girls and made our way to the Traverse City Hospital Emergency room.  They took him quickly and as soon as they got a blood pressure reading, they gave him a shot for pain.  His BP had soared and that is very unusual for him.  The pain meds kicked in fairly quickly and his BP returned to normal.  The doctor and nurses took good care of him and prescribed the right medication .  The whole process took 3+ hours but he is on the mend.  No danger in gout if it is treated.

Now I will backtrack.

We left Mackinaw City with our normal level of enthusiasm.  We loved the campground and the things to do but we were ready to try something else.  We pointed Lewis south and made our way to Traverse City, MI.

We are staying at a Glampground called Indigo Bluffs RV Resort.  Lewis is living in high cotton this week.



Our site is gorgeous and huge.  The entire RV, car and grilling surface is made of pavers.  We have two levels of sitting area and a pond.  The grill is provided as is the propane.  The pond had a waterfall and the whole area is surrounded by manicured lawn or beautiful wildflowers.



The temps are in the 70's and there is a nice breeze.

If one of us had to go lame....this is a good place to do it.

Earlier Thursday, we took a drive out to Sleeping Bear Dunes National Lakeshore.  We were able to use our National Parks Pass to get in and we took the scenic drive.  One of the stops takes you to huge sand dunes overlooking Lake Michigan.  There is one particular area that informs one that going down to the water is one thing but getting back up can take two hours.  I took that as a personal challenge and we will be back as soon as Rob's foot can manage it.
THE DUNE IS VERY STEEP AND VERY HIGH.  SEE THE TINY SPOTS?  THOSE ARE FOLKS TRYING TO MAKE THEIR WAY BACK.  I CANNOT WAIT TO HAVE A GO AT IT!

We left Sleeping Dunes and went to a little town and had dinner at a place called Boondocks.  It was a perfect summer evening to sit outside, listen to live music and have a bite.

FROG FROM OUR CAMPSITE POND

I IMMEDIATELY THOUGHT OF STAR WARS WHEN I SAW THIS FROG CLOSE UP.  NOTICE THE PRINCESS LEAH LOOKING BUNS?


We returned to Lewis and eventually decided on a visit to the ER.
So, we had a good move, the place is gorgeous, Sleeping Bear Dunes is amazing and Rob is on the mend.

Another great day in this thing we call life.



1 comment:

  1. Someone I work with has "done the dune" for years. Every year. It IS a personal challenge for her and now her family. I know you'll rock it!

    ReplyDelete