Early sunrise means early Donna rise. Rob manages to sleep a bit longer but he did get up so that we could go for a run before catching the ferry. He, Megan and I are registered for the Philadelphia Rock N Roll Half Marathon in September so we need to get into a better routine as far as running goes. I never use a specific training plan but I do know that I have to keep my base and build on it.
After our run, we got cleaned up, got the girls ready and headed to the Starline Ferry. Business was brisk but we got in line for the 1000 ride and we were able to get on. Penny Lane and Annie Belle were not totally sure it was ok but they did well.
THE FERRY SHOT A HUGE PLUME OF WATER FROM THE BACK
ANNIE RODE IN MY LAP AND I THINK PENNY THOUGHT SHE NEEDED TO RIDE IN ROB'S LAP.
ANNIE IN THE BACKPACK IN MY LAP
Penny was a little antsy but she managed and the 18 minute ride was good. The boat was fairly crowded so we made for the outskirts of main street straight away. Mackinac Island is fairly small and we decided to do the 8 mile loop around. There are no cars allowed so one can hike, bike or take a horse drawn vehicle. We started our hike on the lowest road and Penny Lane quickly got her first swim.
ENJOYING A TASTE OF THE COLD LAKE WATER
Getting away from Main street did not take long. It was fairly crowded since the ferries unload and most of the island businesses are located there but seeing so many people out walking in the bright sun and fresh air was nice. The temperatures was very walker friendly and everyone was taking full advantage of it. Penny and Annie got lots of notices and pets. I was carrying Annie in the backpack just to prevent her getting stepped on.
THE LIGHTHOUSE ON THE WAY IN
We decided to mix up our loop around the island and went inland when we got to the trail Arch Rock. To get to Arch Rock from this part of the road, one has to take 207 steps to the top. The view is wonderful. I noticed that there are also horse drawn rides available.
ARCH ROCK AND THE VIEW
We saw a little girl on Main Street while we were making our way out of town. She was so pleasant and she wanted to pet Annie. She was also interested in Penny but Rob had already passed and was out of earshot.
When we got to the top of Arch Rock, I saw her again. I spoke to her and asked her if she wanted to pet Penny. She said yes and Rob brought her over. Penny was her usual affectionate self and the little girl was being ever so gentle. Rob told Penny to give the little girl a big lick but worded it " Just give her a big ole lick and it will be ok." The little girl looked at Rob and then leaned over and gave Penny Lane the biggest lick. It was one of the sweetest things I have seen in a while. It was obvious to us that Rob was talking to Penny Lane but the little girl assumed he was talking to her and gave miss Penny her first human lick. The little girl's parents did not miss a beat. They just smiled and said thank you for letting her pet our dogs. Kids can be so innocent and so sweet.
Arch Rock led us to Tranquil Bluff Trail. We left the crowds there.
We only saw one other group of walkers. The trail was well marked and we highly recommend it. The hike is close to the edge but not so close that it is creepy. I would not recommend if one has children or pets that do not listen.
We walked the bluff trail for quite a while and then made our way back to the route along the water.
THIS GIRL LOVES HER SWIMS
COOL DOO
There is one snack area just past the half way point around the water. It draws a good crowd and we stopped for a bite and a rest. I had brought the girls some dog food and they snarfed it. We had all gotten quite hungry and the snacks I packed were not cutting it so the stop was much appreciated.
After a food break, we left the main road again and spent the rest of the hike on trails. We arrived back in town and passed The Grand Hotel along the way.
The Grand Hotel is a historic hotel and coastal resort on Mackinac Island, Michigan, a small island located at the eastern end of the Straits of Mackinac within Lake Huron between the state's Upper and Lower Peninsulas. Constructed in the late 19th century, the facility advertises itself as having the world's largest porch. The Grand Hotel is well known for a number of notable visitors, including five U.S. presidents, Russian presidents Vladimir Putin and Dmitri Medvedev, inventor Thomas Edison, and author Mark Twain.
Grand Hotel is a member of Historic Hotels of America, the official program of the National Trust for Historic Preservation.[7] The Grand is quite famous and is also gorgeous. It is a summer only hotel.
ABSOLUTELY GORGEOUS AND HUGE POPPYS
GUESTS WERE ACTUALLY PLANING CROQUET ON THE LAWN
The final bit of our walk took us past a lovely little church known as The Little Stone Church.
Penny Lane got one more good swim before we got back to the main part of town.
A couple of months ago, we had dinner with Jan and Steve Smith. They are friends of ours from Pennsylvania. We mentioned that we were headed to Mackinac and Jan said that she worked there in the 80's and that she had a friend who still worked there at Island Book Store. Her friend's name was Jill. Rob and I found the book store and I went inside and asked if a woman named Jill worked there. Lo and behold, Jill was there and she and I took a picture
and I texted it to Jan. Much excitement ensued and Jill and I talked for a bit and got to know one another. Technology can be awesome that way.
We stopped for a beer before catching the next ferry back to the mainland.
WE WERE ALLOWED TO SIT OUTSIDE WITH THE GIRLS AND OUR SERVER EVEN BROUGHT WATER FOR THEM.
I love Mackinac Island. It is definitely worth the trip. The no cars rule is perfect and each visitor can decide how much effort they want to put into the visit. There are lots of places to stay overnight and many outside activities.
Our pups were exhausted and we returned to the RV spent and happy.
Another great day in this thing we call life.



Sounds like you had a terrific visit to Mackinac! So glad you were able to meet my friend Jill--she is a very special person! Happy Trails until our paths cross again! Jan
ReplyDelete