Sunday, May 1, 2016

Shot day, rain, a movie and Jake

Little Annie Belle is a seven pound sweetie.  We rescued her from a high kill shelter in South Carolina in 2011.  She was a sickly little girl but quickly became a member of the family.  A few years after we got her, Annie became deathly ill and we nearly lost her.  We soon discovered that she had Addison's disease which is a deficiency of the Adrenal Gland.  The answer to controlling the disease is a shot every 25-28 days and a daily low dose of medicine.
I used to take Annie to the vet for her shot but the stress of going every 25 days or so just added to the problem.  I asked her vet to teach me how to give the injection and started administering it myself.  I hate doing it but she has to have it and an at home situation is just better for her.
I HAVE TO POKE A NEEDLE IN THIS SWEET ANGEL'S THIGH MUSCLE.  SHE BARELY HAS A THIGH MUSCLE.  WE TRY TO BE VERY BRAVE.

                    THE MEDICINE IS CALLED PERCORTEN AND IS VERY EXPENSIVE


WHEN I FINISH WITH HER SHOT, I PUT IT BACK IN THE PROTECTIVE COVER AND LABEL THAT IT WAS FOR ANIMAL USE.

THEN I WRAP IT IN DUCT TAPE.  IT WOULD HELP KEEP ANYONE FROM A NEEDLE STICK AND IF THERE WAS ONE, THEY WOULD KNOW IT WAS NOT A DIRTY HUMAN NEEDLE.  SOUNDS EXTREME BUT I WOULD WANT TO KNOW WHAT I HAD BEEN STUCK WITH.

Shot day stinks but it keeps my little girl healthy and since we are traveling so much, I can do it whenever and wherever I need to.

It was raining this morning so Rob and I went to see Whiskey, Tango, Foxtrot.  It was very good and the venue was amazing.  We went to a theatre in Shirlington and all the seats were huge leather recliners.
GREAT SEATS!  SEE OUR PHOTO BOMBER?

We took the girls for a walk after the movie.  The rain had finally stopped and it was cloudy and cool but good for a walk.  Rob spotted the first snake of the season.  I am pretty sure it was a garter snake.
JAKE

Another great day in this thing we call life.

No comments:

Post a Comment