The word of the day yesterday was "we killed another one." It seemed that we were in constant pursuit of a developing cell and we watched it dissipate right before our eyes. We were way down in southeast Texas where there was a whole lot of nothing but our group remained positive.
After many hours of killing supercells, it was finally determined that we would start driving north towards our hotel.
As we started north and darkness began to envelop us, the lightening began. We had the most spectacular 360 degree lightening show I have ever seen. I am not a very good lightening photographer but I enjoyed the show!
I SNAPPED THIS PERFECTLY. IT IS 10:15 PM AND IT WAS SO DARK. A HUGE BOLT OF LIGHTENING STRUCK JUST TO THE RIGHT OF THE MAN BENDING OVER. THE BOLT WAS SO INCREDIBLY BRIGHT THAT IT LIT UP THE PITCH BLACK NIGHT. THIS BOLT WAS IMMEDIATELY FOLLOWED WITH A "GET BACK IN THE VANS!" ORDER. WE WERE TOO CLOSE!
We also drove through the core of a couple of really active storms and the hail was amazing. I am glad I was not driving and that it was not my car.
All the pics below are pre lightening storm. Nothing developed into a supercell but the vastness of the terrain made for beautiful panoramic viewing.
THIS FORMATION IS CALLED A SCUD BOMB AND CAN BE MISTAKEN FOR A FUNNEL CLOUD TRYING TO MAKE ITS WAY TO THE GROUND. IT IS CAUSED BY RAPID UP OR DOWN DRAFTS OF COLD AIR. I AM NOT THAT SMART....I ASKED AND GOOGLED IT.
Last but never least.....flowers.
Another great day in this thing we call life.
No comments:
Post a Comment