Friday, May 6, 2016

3 Hiking the Bull Run Occoquan Trail(BROT)

Rob and I decided that today would be our best chance of getting to go on a decent hike.  The rainy weather has been very persistent but today looked to be cloudy and cool but maybe not too much rain.
The BROT is a 17 mile trail that goes through some beautiful and fairly diverse scenic woodlands.  The trail is well marked with blue blazes and runs along a creek most of the time.  No issues with who pees in what bathroom here because there are no bathrooms along the trail.

                                                                         

Soon after we got started, the trail led us to what would be the one and only obstacle along the way.  Water was running right across the footpath.  The water was too wide and deep to wade or jump but there was a pile of debris that looked solid enough to use to get across .  Not a big deal but I was careful because I had Annie in a backpack and my camera around my neck.  Rob had crossed and Penny just did a big Cowabunga right through the water.
           DO YOU SEE ANNIE'S LITTLE HEAD STICKING OUT OF THE BACKPACK?

The BROT is only moderately strenuous and today was made a bit harder by the muddy conditions.  We did see a few cool things along the way.

ROPE SWING

We spotted this swing and I can clearly remember the day when I would have loved something like this.  All I could think of today was snakes and ear infections.  Isn't it amazing how age and/or parenting changes perceptions?

                                                                       HERON

WE SAW LOTS AND LOTS OF GOOSE BABIES AND GLARING MOMMAS

Penny Lane had a blast!  She was a huge bundle of energy and made Rob's hike a little harder than it should have been.  She was constantly pulling and trying to get just a bit closer to just beyond the length of her leash.  Annie Belle rode in her backpack and was happy to be there.
A VERY HAPPY, VERY DIRTY PENNY LANE

We hiked about six miles with a break for lunch and returned exercised and muddy.

Another great day in this thing we call life.


 


No comments:

Post a Comment