Friday, March 31, 2017

Girl's Day, Shot Day and the National Weather Center

Thursday was Rob's day away and girl's day in the RV.

We were up at 0415 and in the car by 0445.  I got Rob to the airport and was back home by 0530.

I did my usual cleaning and added carpet cleaning to my list.  There is not much carpet in Lewis so it did not take too long.  The girls spent the morning scampering from the big noisy (vacuum) and rug cleaner.

When I finished cleaning, I took Penny for a good long walk.  Annie stayed back because it was cool and windy.  I took Annie for a shorter walk later on.

I had spotted an Outlet Mall just down the road so I decided to go have a look.  I am not much of a shopper but I wanted to get out for a bit.  The Mall was like all the others but I did hit a few sale racks.  I picked up a few things for Megan.(our daughter in college)

The girls and I had a nice sit outside later in the day.  The sun came out, the wind died down a bit and it was perfect for my chair, my crossword book, my Uke and my girls.  We soaked up some great rays and sat out until the sun made itself scarce and the air got too cool.

We spent the rest of the evening inside with books and Sirius Radio.

Friday dawned clear and cold.

It was shot day.

ANNIES PERCORTEN V AND NEEDLE


Little Annie Belle has Addison's disease which means that her adrenal gland does not function very well.  To counter this, I give Annie a shot every 26 days and a bit of medicine every morning.  I used to take her to the vet for her shot but that just did not make sense.  I asked her vet to teach me how to give her the injection and I have been doing it for over two years now.  The stress that she experienced going to the vet every 26 days just made the disease and its symptoms worse.  I do not like doing it but it is the best thing for her.  It takes a couple of minutes and she is right as rain afterwards.

After Annie's shot, I took Penny Lane for a run.  We got in a good trek and got back in time to  shower and get ready to go to the airport.

Rob arrived on time and we decided to drive down to Norman, OK for a visit to the National Weather Center.  The NWC is comprised of multiple agencies from the federal, state and local levels.  These organizations work together in partnership to improve understanding of atmospheric events.


The NWC offers tours and Rob had managed to get us a tour time of 1:00.  We got a bite to eat at the local cafe which is aptly dubbed The Flying Cow Cafe.

A LITTEL TWIST ON THE MOVIE TWISTER

The NWC tour takes visitors from the 1st floor atrium 
LOOKING UP

LOOKING DOWN

all the way up to the 9th floor observation area.  The casual observer will only see four floors if they look up through the center.  The guide explained that there is over 3,000 miles of cable and wire in the building.  To make access easier, there is a sub-floor under each visible floor.  This allows for work space.  So, the building is 9 stories high.

The atrium level has a few bits of memorabilia from the movie Twister.
DOROTHY

The other levels house classrooms and NWC forecast Operations.




The NWC tour is interesting.  I would have liked a bit more time to read things on the wall but that's just me.

We returned to the RV and Penny Lane was so, so excited to see Rob.  I wish I had recorded it.

We spent the rest of the day and evening hanging around the motorhome with the dogs.  I made our traditional Friday night home made pizza.  We got the girls out for one more walk and it is now dark.  I love that it was still light at 8 p.m.

Another great day in this thing we call life.




No comments:

Post a Comment