Wednesday, March 29, 2017

Tinker AFB, Lake Overholser and Oklahoma storms

Tuesday dawned cool and cloudy.  Rob and I decided to drive to Tinker Air Force Base so that he could go to the gym and the barbershop.  We also wanted go to the commissary to stock up on a few things.

The commissary is awesome.  We will not drive way out of our way to shop at one but we always take advantage of one being nearby.  It is a great place to stock up on nonperishables.  I have created a couple of storage spots for things that we keep for longer periods of time.  We get coffee, cereal, meat for the freezer, gatorade, dry goods etc...  Knowing what I know about prices at stores like Publix and Kroger, I know we save 30+% on our bill.  We still stop at grocers for stuff we need but we love going to the commissary to stock up.

While Rob worked out at the gym, I went for a run.  I avoid the gym whenever I can.  I just do not like cardio machines.  I am grateful that they exist and I know they are an exercise lifeline for many.  Rob really likes the elliptical and the bike so he got his inside workout while I got mine outside.

The airbase had a really nice trail that started at the gym and went for miles and miles.  I decided to go for a shorter sub 8 minute mile workout.  Thankfully, I felt good and it was one of those "feel like I could run forever" days.  I love those days.

Rob and I both had really good workouts and then we headed to the barbershop.  He really, really needed a haircut.  We stopped for gas on the way and there was a barbershop and a Dominoes Pizza in the same little shopping area so we filled Clark and Rob got a good haircut.

The commissary was our last stop and we got our shopping done.  Tinker has a really nice commissary.  Their produce is really good and they have a very nice selection of everyday items.

With the car loaded, we headed back to the RV and our girls.

I busied myself with getting the groceries put away while Rob performed plumbing duties....or should I say doodies?

Putting away groceries in the RV is a one person job.  Everything has a place.  I do the putting away so that I have a good idea when we need to restock.

After groceries and plumbing, we got the girls ready for a walk.  Rob had spotted an area called Lake Overholser and we decided to go check it out.

 Lake Overholser is a reservoir within the city limits of Oklahoma City, Oklahoma. The lake straddles the line separating Oklahoma and Canadian counties. Lake Overholser is formed by Overholser Dam on the North Canadian River in Oklahoma County, Oklahoma.

The lake was originally intended to assure an adequate supply of municipal water, since the city depended primarily on the North Canadian River as a source, supplemented by private wells. The need for flood control capability became obvious when the river flooded in 1923, it breached the Lake Overholser Dam, and inundated much of the city.


There is a dam at one end of the Lake.

ORIGINAL PUMP HOUSE



The Lake Overholser Dam, designed by Niels Ambursen and built by the Ambursen Construction Company of New York, is 68 feet (21 m) high and 1,258 feet (383 m)long. Oklahoma City residents voted a $1.5 million bond issue in 1916 to pay for the project. The dam is built of reinforced poured concrete.

 We were pretty sure we were on borrowed time because the skies were looking to deliver rain soon.  We started our walk by crossing the bit of the dam with the pump house.  We took some steps down to a bit of land that separates the Lake and the Canadian River.

LAKE ON LEFT AND CANADIAN RIVER ON RIGHT

We walked along the waterfronts for a mile or so and then turned around.  We went back up the steps and decided to finish crossing the dam.

NOT A FAN OF GRAFFITI BUT GOTTA RESPECT THE MESSAGE


As we walked across, we got good, up close looks at the mechanics of the spillways.

OLD MANUAL CRANKS USED FOR OPENING AND CLOSING THE SPILLWAYS

PORTION OF THE DAM TO THE RIGHT OF THE PUMP HOUSE

We got across the dam and Penny got to play in the water.  We only let her get her feet wet.  The wind was picking up and the air temp was dropping so we headed back at a fairly brisk pace.  We got about 20 yards from the car and it started to rain.  It was time to load up and go home.

We spent the rest of our Tuesday close to the RV.  Storms were popping up all around us and we'd had a good busy day.

It got very stormy as the evening progressed but we were spared any hail or tornadoes.  The thunder and lightening had the girls on edge so we had a very full bed.  It made for good warm sleeps.

Another great day in this thing we call life. 





No comments:

Post a Comment