Thursday, March 2, 2017

Arches National Park and on to Ogden, Utah

After our wild weather Tuesday, we were happy to wake up to a calm Wednesday.  The air was crisp, the skies were clear and the winds were calm.

I am an early riser and Wednesday morning was no exception.  I was up at 0445 so I decided to go to the hotel lobby for coffee.  Rob is a much better sleeper so I wanted to let him get a few more zzzzzs.

I mentioned in yesterday's blog that the La Quinta in Moab is a great place to stay.  I will reiterate this.  I got to the lobby and breakfast was already laid out.  Many visitors to Moab are headed to Arches National Monument for photographs.  Some want sunrise photographs.  The folks know this and take heed.  The food and coffee were hot and ready.

As the sun came up, the beauty of the surrounding mountains and rock formations really began to show.

I sat with my coffee and my phone and let a couple of hours pass while Rob and the girls rested.

When we had all had some wake up time and our breakfast, we got the car loaded and headed out.  Our final destination was Ogden, Utah but we were in Moab so a visit to Arches National Park was a must.

We knew that Penny Lane and Annie would not be allowed to walk any trails in Arches so we made a stop on the way.  We took them for a walk along the Colorado river.


PENNY GETTING HER FEET WET IN THE COLORADO




Arches is beautiful and fascinating.  The Arches and other formations rise up in every direction.
Photographs do not really do it justice but....

THE DISTANT FORMATION WITH THE FLAT TOP IS THE ORGAN AND THE LESS VISIBLE JUST TO THE LEFT WITH THE "SHARP" TOP IS TOWER OF BABEL

THE FORMATION THAT LOOKS LIKE IT HAS THREE HEADS IS CALLED THE THREE GOSSIPS.  THE ONE TO THE LOWER RIGHT IS CALLED SHEEP ROCK

I CALL THIS ONE BIG OLE ROCK

BALANCED ROCK

THERE ARE TRAILS OUT TO THE ARCHES BUT NO DOGS ALLOWED.  IT WAS 45 BUT WE DO NOT LEAVE THE GIRLS IN THE CAR.  




We drove through the park and stopped here and there to stretch our legs and get a better look.  The girls were allowed out and in the parking areas but not on the trails.  We would have loved to get closer but I understand the need for the no dogs rule.  The handful of irresponsible pet owners that would leave their dogs in the car in hot weather keep the rest of us from being able to enjoy the park with our own pets.  We will not leave the girls even when it is cold outside.  

After a good visit to Arches, we left the park and started the final leg of this journey.


Our drive to Ogden was uneventful.  The roads through the Wasatch Mountains were clear and the winds were near zero.  We saw a few deer and lots of snow but we had no incidents.




Penny Lane was getting bored and she let us know.
ARE WE THERE YET?

We finally made it to the valley and meandered through Provo and Salt Lake City before exiting in Ogden.
As part of our trip planning, I had perused the website HomeAway and found a very sweet looking home right at the base of the mountain.  I got a 3bdr/2bath home for $100 a night.  The house is fabulous and there is plenty of room for us, Robb and Megan and the pups.  The views from the house are spectacular even though we are in a residential neighborhood.  Sites like HomeAway and Airbnb are awesome if you are willing to do a little homework.  Take the time to look and read.  Read the descriptions and rules and read the reviews from other guests.

I used the code to get the keys out of the lock box and we had an easy time getting into the house.  We got unloaded and literally "made ourselves at home."

Another great day in this thing we call life.




No comments:

Post a Comment