I had been watching the weather and the region was in the news. Storms were predicted to pop up somewhere around the I35 corridor up to Oklahoma City and east.
Based on what I was seeing and what the weather folks were telling us, we decided to go ahead and pack up and get moving. We also decided to not tow Clark. If the weather got too bad, it would be easier to maneuver without the car
We had an interesting ride up. Rob decided fairly last minute and exit for gas at a Flying J truck stop. Ergot the enhanced maneuverability of Lewis without a tow car. I could not get over fast enough and he exited and I kept going. I waved at him and gave him a WTH look but he never even saw me. I tried to call him but he did not have his phone on so....As I drove down the Interstate, he finally realized that I was not behind him and he called me. I just went to the next exit, put gas in Clark and waited for him.
After we linked up, we kept moving north. We were going through a construction area and moving about 50mph. I was behind the motorhome and I spied this very large turkey running across the Interstate. No kidding...this large bird made his way across the southbound lanes and was headed straight into the path of the RV. Rob tried to slow a bit but he did not have much time to react. As the turkey got close to the path of the RV, he took flight. He was having a really hard time getting the altitude to make it over Lewis. He was flapping for all he was worth and thank goodness the RV was moving fast enough for the turkey to just miss the middle of the vehicle. Rob kept going and Tom turkey flew over my windshield and made it to the other side of the road. I was certain we were going to have turkey remnants splattered on our vehicles but the bird survived.
As we neared Oklahoma City and headed around the west side, I got a weather warning on my phone. The storms were starting to pop up. We got to the RV site, got checked in, set up and then I started watching the skies.
I climbed on top of the RV and had a great view of the storm clouds forming to the east and southeast.
| LOTS OF CLOUDS |
THEY APPROACHED BUT NEVER GOT CLOSE ENOUGH TO IMPACT US
THE ENTIRE SYSTEM I WAS WATCHING MOVED NORTHEAST OF US
THE RV PARK HAS THREE STORM SHELTERS.....YAY
After a bit of outside storm watching, I went inside and watched the weather guys have fun with the system. I know these storms are serious business but the weather spotters were great to listen to.
There was hail, torrential rains, wind and a tornado to the east of us. We never even got a drop of rain.
We got up Monday and found a refuge area with a trail for running. We were not sure of the terrain so we left Penny Lane at home. The trail was only 15 minutes from the RV and it was a great place to run. Nothing too exciting but a great surface and the temps were really nice. We did see this little cutie.
A CHUBBY LITTLE DONKEY
After our run, we decided that we needed to go to a camping store to pick up a few things. I have been looking for a reflective windshield cover for Lewis. It is not easy to find one that is 48"x100". The front windshield allows a LOT of heat in even with the two built in roll down shades we have. It is not a huge issue now but it will be as we continue west. I found what I needed at the store and and we picked up a couple more items.
We got back to the RV, got the girls in their harnesses and drove to Chisolm Trail Park.
A LITTLE HISTORY
The park had a really nice path for walking and there were several small lakes to go around. We had a good walk and the girls had one dunking in the lake.
As we were walking, Penny Lane got to meet Ofi
THIRD COUSINS TWICE REMOVED?
We also saw a few of these hefty dudes and dudettes.
I LIKE GEESE. THEY HAVE ATTITUDE. THEY ARE LIKE THE CATS OF THE BIRD WORLD
As we were finishing the walk, we saw these bronze statues. Penny Lane has issues with statues. She could not get far enough away from them.
One of the things we love about traveling, is finding interesting little diners, pubs, breweries, roadside stands, seafood shacks etc.... We try to visit local favorites and give them a try. We have a book that Rob likes to look through when we go to certain cities.
Roadfood listed four little, off the beaten path eateries that were near us. We decided to drive to El Reno and visit Sid's. Sid's is lovely in its simplicity. It is small, the menu is simple and the food is delicious. The diner is decorated with photos, magazine articles and maps. There is a long counter with round stools that spin, three booths and four tables. The staff are friendly and they work hard. It is obviously very popular with the locals. It was clear that we were not locals but they were genuinely nice.
As we were waiting for our order, I noticed a young girl come in with her father. She sat down and was messing with her phone. She never ordered but within five minutes, the server brought this girl a plate with five hotdogs on it. No bread, just hotdogs. She also brought a huge basket of fries.The girl said thank you and absolutely devoured the hotdogs. My guess is that she was a local.
Rob and I each had an amazing burger. The meat was freshly patted right there. The fries were fresh out of the fryer. I will pay for this meal with a good dose of heartburn but it was yummy, yummy, yummy.
SID'S DINER
We had our awesome burger and shared order of fries and then we were ready to get back to Lewis and the girls. We took them for their evening walk and we are now wiling away another happy evening.
Another great day in this thing we call life.
No comments:
Post a Comment