Monday, March 20, 2017

The local flea market, a little work on the RV and Doing The Right Thing

After a really busy Saturday, we thought we would take it a bit easier on Sunday.

We decided to get in a bit of a run but just stayed in the local area.  Nothing special but good exercise.

After our run, we took our coffee and cantaloupe and sat outside.  Rob had his Sudoku and I had my crossword book.  The girls basked in the lovely morning sun.

After a bit of outside time, Rob and I got the girls settled inside and we decided to go the a Flea Market that we had spotted yesterday.  We did not need anything but we both enjoy an occasional visit to these types of places.

The Flea Market was busy but not unpleasantly so.  We parked, walked around and just enjoyed people watching.  We saw so many interesting things but, we left empty handed.  Living in an RV really helps you think before you buy.

The plot of land that the market sat on did have a bit of history.
THE STORY OF BUCKNER....THE COUNTY SEAT

BUCKNER CEMETERY

SADLY UNKEMPT AND IN THE MIDDLE OF THE PARKING AREA BUT AT LEAST THEY DID NOT RAZE IT

After the flea market, I gathered up what I needed to install roof vent covers.

Most RVs have roof vents.  The vents open and close and have fans to allow for extra movement of inside air.  The vents are a great extra but if it is rainy or too windy, the lids must stay closed.


VENT WITH THE LID CLOSED

I knew that covers could be placed over the vents.  They allow for the vent to be open even if it is raining.  They also allow an extra layer of protection from the sun. 

 I ordered the parts, watched a couple of Youtube videos, and set about installing.

I STARTED BY ATTACHING THE BRACKETS.  I HAD TO DRILL BUT NOT INTO THE RV.  THE COVER IS TO THE LEFT. 

BRACKETS INSTALLED

COVER ON AND SECURE.  THERE ARE LOUVERS ON THE BACK SIDE OF THE COVER.  INSTALLING THIS ONE WAS A BIT NERVE WRACKING.  I WAS CLOSER TO THE EDGE OF THE RV THAN I LIKED TO BE.

As is often the case with projects like this, the second cover was much easier to install.  The first one took me at least 30 minutes but the second was done in 15.  

I love doing things like this.  I learned something, improved the RV and saved some money.

Now comes the doing the right thing part.

We have RV neighbors who live in a huge, luxurious, diesel powered rig.  

To the casual passerby, these folks probably seem to have it all.  If you are their neighbors and you have ears, you know differently.

I had heard quite a bit of shouting on a few occasions but it seemed to be getting out of hand on Sunday.  I was on the roof and could hear him yelling and yelling at her.  I also heard a lot of slamming and banging.

The woman, came out of the RV with her little dog and a few personal items.  When she tried to go back in, he had locked the doors.  She used her keys, went in and the yelling resumed.  She came out of their motorhome again and got into a SUV with a few more personal items and her dog.  I quickly scrambled off the roof, ran to her car and asked her if she was ok.

She started to cry and we had a long talk....right in the middle of the street.  She disclosed that the abuse had been going on for a long time.  I asked her if he hit her and she said no and then she said "once."  That usually means yes and more than once.

So, here I am with this 50 something woman who is a victim of domestic violence.  She had no car (she was using one a local friend had loaned), no credit card and limited cash.  I talked to her and helped her decide that she should go stay the night with her friend.  I told her we would meet her at a rental car company in the morning and help her get a one way rental to where she needed to be.  She needed to get to Florida where she has adult children.  I did ask her to promise me that she would not come back.  I told her that she should not be ashamed and that it would not get better if he would not get help.

She left and let me know when she got to her friend's house.  She was going to stay there and work the rental car issue this morning.

I heard from her at 10:00 or so and her friend was going to help her get the car.  She thanked us profusely.

I heard from her again at 1:00pm and she had her car and she is on her way to what I hope is freedom.  I know it takes two to argue but she was obviously afraid of this man.  I hope she never has to feel like that again.

I guess my point is that it is so easy to look the other way or turn a deaf ear but we just could not do that.  Domestic violence happens at all socioeconomic levels and can happen to anyone. 

We notified the managers at the RV park and they have eyes on him and they have notified the authorities.  

I hope this is the end of it and I hope for much better days for this woman.  I do not even know her last name but I do know she is a human being and that she deserves better.

Another great day in this thing we call life.





No comments:

Post a Comment