Monday, March 6, 2017

Family Fun

The first day of Carr family ski trip is usually a bit laughable.

We love to ski so we try really hard to have one ski week each year.

2017 IN UTAH
2016 LAKE TAHOE
2015 UTAH
WAY, WAY BACK TO 2008 IN FRANCE

2010 IN COLORADO

So many wonderful memories and so many pictures.  The years have rolled by with alarming speed.  I did not post for all the years but I just wanted to show a few.


One of us is organized and makes sure we have all our equipment.  We must have four sets of skis, boots and poles. We all need gloves,goggles, coats, ski pants, ski socks, ski helmet etc...

If you add all this to a group in which three out of four do not like to get up in the morning, then you have to laugh.

On the first morning of this particular ski week, we needed to take Robb and Megan to the ski shop to rent skis, boots and poles.  We used to own equipment but we gave up trying to keep up with the newest model of this and that.  It is also a real pain to schlep it from wherever we happen to be living.

I got everyone up for coffee and breakfast.  We have to vegetarians and two nots in our house so I just buy food and everyone can decide what works for them.

After everyone had coffee and food, Rob drove them to the ski shop while I gathered the rest of our stuff and took the pups for a walk.

The rental process went smoothly and they were back in 30 minutes.  We loaded up (truly movie worthy) and headed back to Powder Mountain.

We'd had a tough time deciding where to ski.  The weather was definitely going to be a factor.  A winter storm warning was forecast and timing was going to be important.  I finally decided on Powder Mountain because we knew the layout and the Sunday weather was going to deteriorate in either place.

We arrived early and the wind was already starting to pick up.  The sun was shining and the skies were partly cloudy with lots of blue peeking out.

ON THE WAY UP

ROB AND ROBB ONE CHAIR BEHIND

ROBB BATTLING HE WIND

JUST GORGEOUS

SO NOT CROWDED


BRO AND SIS

STORM ROLLING IN

We got started skiing and the kids just took off.  Rob and I were thinking we were really moving out on Friday and then the kids show up.  They fly.  We move along at a good pace but they zoom.

We got in a few good hours and explored a lot of the mountain.

Then came the winds.  

As I have mentioned in other posts, I love watching the weather.  I never cease to be amazed with how precise they can be with the forecast.  High winds were predicted and high winds did come.

We had made our way down to a particular lift and it had stopped.  This can happen for many reasons.  The wind was the cause of this stoppage.  The lift started going again and we took our place getting ready to load.  The lift attendant told us, as we sat in the chair, to "hang on" because they had just had a 56 MPH gust at the top.  A 56 MPH might not sound like much but when you are dangling in a chair, it gets interesting.  Imagine a bit of turbulence in a plane but no plane.  I am sure the lifts have a high tolerance for wind but it still makes me nervous.  If I ever lose my nerve for skiing, it will not be about skiing, it will be about the lifts.

We continued to ski and the winds continued to blow. Unloading at the peaks was fascinating.  The winds were howling and the snow was blowing. It was downright painful on exposed skin.  Exfoliation was the Sunday special. 

The rumor mill started to spin and we were hearing of  lifts being closed.  We made our way to a lodge for a bite to eat.  We were able to verify the rumors and we decided to call it a day.

We battled our way to the car, got everything loaded and drove home.  

We took some to rest and relax.

After a bit, I started going through restaurant reviews to help us pick a place for dinner.  I started reading the reviews out loud and it got really funny.  I think we were all a bit tired so that factor probably added to the silly but we had a great time of it.  

We finally picked a place that did not "smell like a porta potty, have roaches, rude wait staff, cost too much, have small portions" and so on.  

The restaurant was good and everyone had their fill. 

We got back from dinner and played a game of Spades.  Robb and I teamed up against Rob and Megan.  The game was spirited and Rob and Megan won by less than 30 points.

Family Fun.

Another great day in this thing we call life.






No comments:

Post a Comment