Getting up and out of the house was a bit easier on Monday.
We had our equipment and we were "in the groove."
It had snowed Sunday night so we did a quick check of the roads before we headed out. One should never assume that the roads to ski areas are passable. Some roads run through narrow canyons. Snow has to be moved and avalanche risk has to be determined before the roads are opened.
We were headed to Snowbasin ski area.
Snowbasin opened 78 years ago in 1939, as part of an effort by the city of Ogden to restore the Wheeler Creek watershed, it is one of the oldest continually operating ski resorts in the United States. Snowbasin hosted the 2002 Winter Olympic alpine skiing races for downhill, combined, and super-G. The base elevation is 6390' and the top is 9350'. The air is a bit thin but I will run like the wind when I get back to 400' above sea level. (at least in my dreams)
HUGE AND BEAUTIFUL
SO MANY TRAILS, SUCH TIRED LEGS
They had gotten over 12" of snow overnight so we were looking forward to skiing some of the soft stuff. The temps had dropped a bit and the wind was still a factor. We added an extra layer and headed out.
Because Snowbasin hosted some of the ski events of the 2002 Winter Olympics, the lodge and lift areas are quite nice.
I remember the first time we skied Snowbasin. It was 2014 and we had been skiing for a couple of hours. We were ready for a break so we went into the lodge. Right after we passed through the main doors, we were sure we were somewhere we should not be. Most of the floors are carpeted, there is an elevator to the restrooms and the restrooms are really, really nice. I know this does not sound like much but most inside areas at ski resorts are a bit rugged. Also, many of the outside surfaces are heated so skiers are walking on solid ground while they are hauling their equipment to the start points. Snowbasin is a great place for non skiers who might want to watch other skiers. There is ample room inside with ample viewing of the lower ski areas. There is also a lot of outside seating when weather permits. In short, if you get a chance....visit Snowbasin. It is not cheap but it is no more than other resorts of the same size.
We chose to use the Needles Gondola for the first ascent. The Gondola is great! Skiers put their skis into slots on the outside, hop inside, have a seat, and enjoy the ride.
We got to the top, unloaded and got ready to ski.
When you exit the Needles Gondola, you exit left and ski along a ridge line. You can "drop" in fairly quickly at or you can continue to traverse for a bit. When we exited the gondola, we decided to drop in as soon as we could. The wind was howling and visibility was about 30 yards. Everyone was ready to move below the ridge line to get some relief from the wind. The key, as one ski patrol guy told us, is to drop left. Drop left is skiing, drop right is out of bounds.
As soon as we got away from the wind, the skiing was AMAZING! The powder was fantastic and it was so soft. As were enjoying the powder, we were all startled by the many loud booms of avalanche control. Even though we knew that we were safe from the controlled avalanches, it got our attention.
We completed our first run and decided on a nearby chair lift for our next trip up.
ROB AND MEGAN
FACING THE ELEMENTS
The chair was long and cold but offered great access. We continues to ski fresh powder and the kids continued to make us work for it.
WAITING
JUST HAD TO TAKE THIS PHOTO
ROBB AND MEGAN WAITING FOR US OLD FOLKS TO CATCH UP
A LOOK INTO THE VALLEY
THE TREES WERE BEAUTIFUL
CHOOSING THE WAY DOWN
ANOTHER CLASSIC LIFT SHOT
ON THE WAY UP. VISIBILITY IS NOTICEABLY LIMITED AS THE LIFT GOES FURTHER UP
As we approached the end of our day, we rode a very long chair lift to an upper peak. We had decided to take a nice long path/trail to the bottom......yeah right. There was no way Robb and Megan were going to let that happen. We got to the top, unloaded and turned right. We had nothing but black and double black diamond runs to choose from. I am not sure what happened to the nice long trail but it was not here.
I cannot even pretend that my legs were not getting tired. Powder is so much fun but it is also work. Your skis and a good portion of your boot disappear under said powder so technique is important.
We all finished the final run. It was so long and so hard but very satisfying. We were all intact so, as far as I am concerned, we'd had a great day of skiing.
Another plus of Snowbasin is their drop off and pick up area. One skier can go get the car while the other skiers stay with the equipment. Rob chose to go get Clark while we waited. We loaded our gear, got settled and made our way back to the house.
The girls greeted us with their usual enthusiasm and we were happy to return to such accommodating digs. The house was warm, the fridge was full and we had room to spread out.
After a bit of a rest, we went to dinner. We had picked a Thai/Vietnamese restaurant that was not too far from the house. I was looking forward to a nice big bowl of Pho. The restaurant did not disappoint.
With dinner finished, we went back to the house and settled in for the night. Rob and Robb started debating societal issues so I headed downstair to watch TV. Megan decided to join me. I pretended to watch Finding Dory but I took a nap for the first 15 minutes. I was tired. I am always the first one up every morning so I am usually the first one to fade in the evening. I did get a second wind and made it through the rest of the movie. We also watched a few episodes of Parks and Recreation and I started napping again. I finally gave up and went to bed.
Another great day in this thing we call life.


No comments:
Post a Comment