Is it the continuity of the waves and the sounds that come with them? Is it that you can look out from the shoreline and imagine you see the curve of the earth?
Or is it just the cool stuff you see at the beach?
MR CRABS.....I COULD NOT HELP BUT THINK OF SPONGEBOB SQUAREPANTS.
I saw this guy while Megan and I were sitting in our chairs at the beach. I got up and started following him. He was on to me so he decided to nestle himself into a random beach towel and give me some attitude. I will have to say, I was a bit intimidated. There is something about being eyeballed by those glassy, black extensions. We had a bit of a staring contest and I decided he needed to retreat to whatever hole he belonged in. A very cool crab was he.
My day started early. (forgive my chronological randomness but I had to talk about the crab first) I was awake before 0500 and gave up on trying to sleep. I got up, went through the morning drill and waited for the sun to rise. I donned my running clothes and headed out. I went straight to the beach. Early morning runs on the beach are amazing.
THE BOARDWALK TO THE BEACH
THE SUN MAKING A DAILY APPEARANCE
COCOA BEACH PIER BEFORE THE SURFERS ARRIVE
As expected, the morning did not disappoint. It was warm but not middle of the day hot. People were starting to move around but it was not at all crowded. The tide was low so there was plenty of firm sand to run on.
I always find it ironic that I was born here, left as a small child and now I have a home here. I spent hours on this same beach when I was a little kid. We left Florida when I was six and I lived in Alabama until I graduated from college. I moved to Germany and met Rob. Our first conversation led to the disclosure that we were both from Cocoa Beach, Florida. Go figure.
I got back from my run and Megan and Rob were up and about. We each went running on our own.
When Megan got back, we decided to go to the beach. The UV index was projected to be extreme so we wanted to get in a bit of time before it was just too hot. The crowds had picked up but it was a great day to be there. We sat up our chairs, donned sunscreen and got our Kindles fired up.
We read for a bit and took a nice long walk and played in the water. We'd had enough after a couple of hours and headed back to the house.
Penny Lane was happy to see us and she and I had some playtime in the pool.
She is such a fun dog! I had to make sure I sent straight to the bottom of the pool because she jumps right on top of me. I got her good and tuckered out.
We had promised Grandpa Sam that we would take him to Rusty's for dinner. Rusty's is a seafood restaurant just down the road at Port Canaveral.
Port Canaveral has come a long way since I was little. The Space Program used to be the big money earner for this area.
The decline of that industry let to the upswing of the cruise and cargo industry at the port. Rusty's has been there throughout the transformation. If you visit Rusty's, check out the cruise schedules. It is quite a sight to watch the big ships leave.
We finished our evening with a walk. We got to watch a pretty good storm roll in. It never made it to the house but the formation was amazing.
We watched the Opening Ceremony for the 2016 Olympics and we were off to bed.
Another great day in this thing we call life.


No comments:
Post a Comment