Megan, Annie Belle and I loaded the car and headed to Alabama to see friends and family. Rob and Penny Lane stayed in Florida and will head north later in the week.
We will link up on Saturday and make our way to Baraboo, Wisconsin for a two week Habitat for Humanity build.
The drive from Cocoa Beach to North Alabama is just long enough to tempt you to make it a two day trip but short enough that we always make it in one. It is about 760 miles. An early start helps so we were away by 0600.
We made a few stops here and there and got to my friend Lisa's by 6.
Lisa and I go way back. We have known each other since 3rd grade. We did not run in the same circles when we were in elementary, middle or high school but we became friends in college. Lisa and I were travel buddies. I would come up with some adventure and she was always game. We actually made the Alabama to Florida to Alabama trip many years ago. We were in college and it was Christmas break. We loaded my silver Ford Pinto, drove to Cocoa Beach, spent two weeks in the sun, and drove back to Alabama. We have had many, many more great trips together but I will always remember that first "grown up" trip.
LISA AND SOPHIE
We got unloaded and sat around and talked. Lisa and I talk on the phone all the time but face to face chatting is always better. We also got to meet Gus.
GUS THE GOAT. WHAT A SWEET LITTLE BABY!
Gus is one of many creatures at Lisa's house but he was so sweet. He was just a few days old and he was so snuggly. He fell asleep while Megan was holding him.
We spent the rest of the day just relaxing and enjoying good company.
Tuesday presented us with a classic Alabama summer day. It was 78 with 95% humidity at 0645. Running in this area presents challenges but I try to get out and get it done. Running is not part of the culture here and many of the country roads provide little or no shoulder.
I do sort of know my way around so I can pick roads that are a little easier to navigate. I found this shady jewel and ended up having a really good run.
I returned from my run and spent most of the rest of the day visiting. My Aunt Cindy came over and we sat around and had good chat.
We finished our day with a movie. I rarely go to the movies but we decided we wanted to go see Jason Bourne. It was an OK movie but just a bit violent for me. The girl with the blonde hair just annoyed me. You cannot go around in Greece with blonde hair and not get noticed. Wear a hat dummy. I won't spoil it for those who have not seen it but plan to.
It had been a good day. Not much new but enjoying the well worn can be so pleasurable.
Another great day in this thing we call life.


No comments:
Post a Comment