Saturday, August 20, 2016

A week in the books (connectivity is really limited so this post is not one of my best)

We finished our first week with Habitat for Humanity.  Things went really well and I think we all learned something.  When I say we all, I mean Rob, Megan and I.  I was quickly reminded that some folks just know it all.

I was a bit dismayed by those who insisted on starting the day with prayer but spent that day just being difficult and nasty.

 I know that personalities vary but when you come together to reach a mutual goal, your "personality" needs to be checked at the door.  I honestly do not believe that anyone worked any harder than anyone else.  Our abilities did range but we all applied what we knew with vigor.

I was reminded that volunteers are an integral part of an organization like Habitat and that they need to be treated with respect and patience.  As a fifty something, I could shake most of what the less than respectful/patient workers said but I would understand that a younger volunteer might hesitate to have another go.

With all that being said, we had a really good first week.  We stayed on task and got our projects done.  When those that "knew it all" got too vocal, we just stepped away and took a break.  Rob, Megan and I even managed to make the local paper.  The writer did a really nice piece on our build and included a photo of the three of us working on the ADA deck and ramp we built.
OUR TEAM EFFORT


We got quite a bit of rain Wednesday and Thursday night.
A VERY SATURATED WORK SITE
 Our build site was really soggy so we did most of our work inside on Friday.  Before dry wall could be installed, all the walls and ceilings had to be covered in plastic.  I was told that this is part of the Energy Star program.  I saw the logic behind it so I jumped in and helped.  I also got to use a hammer style staple gun.  The user swings it like a hammer and applies staples to the plastic to attach it to the studs.
THE RED TAPE COVERS THE SEAMS

 It is a very gratifying maneuver.  We spent a good portion of our day getting this done.

The dry wall was supposed to make an appearance after lunch but the supplier called to say it would not be delivered.  We spent a couple of hours after lunch fine tuning things and then knocked off early.

We got back to Lewis and went for our run.     We spent the rest of the afternoon getting laundry done, buying a few groceries and cooking dinner.

We topped off our day with a few episodes of Modern Family.  We plan to spend the weekend exploring Madison and the local lakes and trails.

Another great day in this thing we call life.

No comments:

Post a Comment