Friday, April 14, 2017

Travel to Fort Huachuca, Arizona

We left Las Cruces on Wednesday and continued our journey west.

Our next stop was Fort Huachuca, Arizona.

We have a little history with this place.

Rob and I met in Germany in 1988 while we were both serving in the US Army.  We dated for about a year before getting married in Denmark.  We moved back to the US in 1990 and Fort Huachuca was our first "married" duty assignment.

I remember it like it was yesterday.  We moved into an apartment waiting for on base housing.  After a bit, we were assigned quarters.  I was thrilled with our little home.  It was blue with a flat roof and a carport.  It had three little bedrooms and two bathrooms.  It was our little piece of heaven.

I had gotten out of the Army so I spent many of my days substitute teaching.  Rob continued to serve.  We spent our weekends and evenings exploring all that this area had to offer.  The town that sat outside post was not much but there were tons of trails to hike and explore.

In December of 1990, Rob found out that he would be deploying in support of Operation Desert Storm.  He would have to go to another area in the US to prepare for this deployment.  A couple of days after he left, I found out that I was pregnant.

As Rob's time to leave the US drew near, I flew to where he was and told him the good news.  Granted, the timing was not great but he needed to know.

So, in January of 1991, Rob flew to the desert and I flew to the desert....just not the same deserts.  

Communications were not what they are these days and I did not hear much from my soldier.  I did get word that all was well and, fortunately for us, Rob and his unit returned safely.  It was a hard time but it was part of being an Army family.

Our son was born in August of 1991.  We began our lives as Mom and Dad and it has been a wonderful life.

That is our history with Fort Huachuca.

Zoom forward to 2017 and here we are.  This is my first time back since we left in December of 1991.

The town of Sierra Vista and the post have grown quite a bit.

Even there are many new buildings on post, it still has the same feel.  It is a bit wild here.  We have signs all over the campground warning of high wildlife activity.  It warns to keep pets on a leash and to walk with a flashlight after dark.  We have seen a multitude of deer and have heard the wild turkeys gobbling.  We have been warned of bears, coyotes, mountain lions (rare I think), Javelina and such.
WE WENT FOR A RUN THURSDAY MORNING AND THIS IS THE FIRST SIGN WE SAW AT THE TRAIL HEAD



THESE ARE ALL OVER THE PLACE AND THEY ARE HUGE




A LOVELY BIG EYED DOE

The RV park itself is very nice.  Our site is quite large and paved.  There is no grass but that is indicative of the area.


LEWIS WITH THE MOUNTAINS IN THE BACKGROUND

A BEAUTIFUL EARLY MORNING MOON

THE MOUNTAIN RANGE THAT BORDERS THAT BACK OF FORT HUACHUCA

We will have a bit of an extended stay here.  We hope to do a lot of hiking and get in some rounds of golf.

Another great day in this thing we call life.



No comments:

Post a Comment