Friday, April 21, 2017

Birds, The Buffalo Soldier and a short steep hike

I try to go out every evening before the sun sets to see what I can view through my camera lens.

If I look wide and far, it looks just like it did the day before.  If I look closer and in the direction of sounds, I see new things.

The birds seemed particularly active and chatty on Thursday evening.  I cannot ID many species of birds but I love to watch them.

I DO KNOW THAT THIS IS A DOVE.  I HEARD HER COOING

THIS ONE EASILY MOVES IN AND OUT OF THE DENSE CACTUS BUT I DO NOT THINK IT IS A CACTUS WREN

THIS ONE HAS A TASTY SNACK IN HER MOUTH

A LONER

I also heard the local Javelina herd snorting and saw a few deer.  

I did not wander too far from the RV and was back well before dark.

I started my Friday with a good run.  Everything is uphill from the park.  I usually make my way to the Huachuca Canyon trailhead and then get a downhill all the way home.  

Today, I stopped long enough to take a couple of pictures at the Buffalo Soldier Legacy Plaza.  



The legacy of the Buffalo Soldier is one dating back to 1866 when Congress passed legislation approving the formation of six Army regiments which included the 9th and 10th Cavalry. The 24th and 25th Infantry were formed separately several years later, and conducted missions around the West.  
The history of the Buffalo Soldier runs deep.  If you have time, look it up.  It makes for an interesting read.

After a good run, I went back to the RV, got Penny Lane in her harness and we took a short ride up reservoir hill.  

I had noticed a fairly short but steep hiking trail from the parking lot on reservoir hill to the top of a peak.  I am hesitant to hike alone but this particular trail is very visible and I had phone reception,

Penny and I headed out and we were both working hard to make the thinner air work.  It did not take us very long to get to the top but we were both sucking wind when we got there.

UP

AND UP

AND UP

CHEESE!

We took a water break and caught our breath before heading back down.

It took us just as long to get down as it did to get up.  It was steep and the footing was loose.  Penny was a real trooper.

We are back at the RV.  Both dogs are snoozing and it is clear and sunny.  The day is still young but I am sure it will be:

Another great day in this thing we call life







No comments:

Post a Comment