Sunday, April 23, 2017

Things I saw today....one was a first for me.

This particular Saturday was a little different.

It was just me and the girls so.....

I got up really early (0400) to watch a meteor shower.  The Lyrid Meteor Shower is active from 16 to 25 April each year.  The meteor shower was to peak on the 22nd (this morning) so I got up, made a cup of coffee and went outside and watched a good bunch of meteors zip across the sky.  Watching meteor showers can make for a sore neck so I decided to lie on the picnic table.  It made for a great view minus the sore neck.

The dogs were a little confused by my seemingly clandestine activities but they settled.  When the sun came up, I took Penny for a walk.

We headed towards the mountains and Huachuca Canyon.

The birds were out and they seemed to be celebrating spring.

I HAVE BEEN SURPRISED BY THE BEAUTIFUL COLORS OF SOME OF THE BIRDS HERE


We also saw a large male turkey with is harem.

PENNY HAD NO IDEA WHAT TO DO ABOUT THIS GUY


I had been listening to the incessant gobbling of this turkey for several days but had not gotten to see him.  He and his ladies were having a leisurely Saturday walk.

When we got back to the RV, I put Penny inside and decided to sit out for a bit.  I had been sitting for just a few minutes when I noticed two roadrunners "courting."  They were bobbing their heads, wiggling their long tail feathers and making little cooing noises.

LOOKING

BOBBING AND COOING

LOOKING A LITTLE MORE

AND THE CHASE IS ON

I found their ritual to be fascinating.  They made quite a show of it and as long as I sat still, they did not seem bothered by me.  
When they made their way to the bushes, I got up and followed another noise.  I spied these plump little nesters.
MOMMA BIRD WATCHING OVER HER VERY BIG BABIES

MOMMA BIRD HAS AMAZING EYES DOESN'T SHE?

After a really busy bird morning, I spent a good part of the afternoon cleaning the RV.  Not too exciting but I enjoy it.  The weather was good and the girls could sit outside while I cleaned.

Now....the highlight of my day.

It was getting near sunset and I decided to take the girls for a walk around the perimeter of the RV park.  I got to the end of the park and noticed a lady looking into the tall grass while backing away.  I asked her what she was seeing and she said "a really big cat."
I got closer and lo and behold, there was a mountain lion about 30 yards away.  She was a beauty and she was big.  I immediately picked up Annie the hors devours and got Penny Lane closer to me.  The Lion looked our way and started wiggling her ears.  We all started walking away and I took the girls straight to the motorhome.  I got my camera and got in the car and went back to try to get a picture.  No luck.  I also went to the camp host and told her.  A military patrol car came through and we told the officer.

Anyway, I have never seen a mountain lion and I was both scared and fascinated.

I did go around to the other campers and let them know about the big kitty.

So, that was my day.  Not a typical Saturday but:

Another great day in this thing we call life.

1 comment:

  1. I think those are Goulds turkeys-- might have to ask an expert. Goulds were reintroduced to the United States on Fort Huachuca in about 2000/2001. They had been hunted out in the 1930s, but still ranged in the Sierra Madre in Mexico.

    ReplyDelete