Friday, April 7, 2017

Buffalo Lake National Wildlife Refuge

 After a rainy Tuesday filled with tax preparation,  we woke up Wednesday to clear skies.

As usual, I was up well before the sun, and the pre dawn sky was beautiful.   I could easily pick out the few constellations with which I was familiar.

It was a bit chilly and the wind was still a factor but it was dry.

After Rob got up and we had our coffee, we decided to exercise in the RV park fitness center.  The wind was showing no sign of abating and the terrain offers little or no protection.

I loathe running on treadmills.  When I run, I want to go somewhere.  Treadmills are great for many and allow for exercise when the elements do not.  I will say that even though I do not like using them, the one at the park was pretty cool.  It took me a while to get it set it but once I did, I had a pretty good run.  This treadmill allowed me to pick a running route from a list of places around the world.  I picked a shore front route in South Africa.  The screen displayed an animated but very well done picture of my run.  This particular run had an incline variance of +12.5 to -3%.  This made for a really good workout.

 When we had finished our exercise, we went back to the RV, showered, and got the girls ready for a hike.

Rob had found a place called Buffalo Lake National Wildlife Refuge.  The Refuge was not too far away but we decided to let Siri tell us the best way to get there.

We started out on paved roads but Siri quickly led us to dirt.  This area is really, really flat and you can see for miles.
WE WENT A FEW MILES ON THIS AND THEN SIRI TOLD US TO TURN LEFT

THE LEFT TURN JUST LED US TO ANOTHER DIRT ROAD.  WE WERE JUST GLAD IT WAS DRY

After fifteen miles or so on these long, flat, straight dirt roads, we were led back to pavement.  Eventually, we got to the entrance of the Refuge.

Buffalo Lake National Wildlife Refuge is a protected area in Randall County in the Texas Panhandle. Its shortgrass prairies spill into marshes, woodlands, riparian habitat, croplands, and water-carved canyon walls that together form 7,664 acres of homes for migratory and year-round wildlife. The area forms a habitat for black-tailed prairie dogs and burrowing owls, among many other species. Some 175 acres of the refuge carries the designation of National Natural Landmark.



We found a good place to park the car and headed out on what we hoped would be a good loop trail.
PENNY IN THE LEAD

ANNIE WANTED NOTHING TO DO WITH THIS HIKE SO SHE RODE

We did not make it very far down the path before we came to signs telling us that the rest of the trail was closed. The sign gave no details but the signs, along with barriers across the trail, made it clear that we were to go to further.

We turned around and sort of stumbled onto another trail.  We made our way along and it ended up being a really nice three or so mile loop.  The moderately hilly, grass covered landscape allowed us to see for miles. 



 As often happens on these hikes, I spotted tiny wildflowers.  They seemed determined to make their way in these harsh environments.




I also got close to one of the Cottonwood trees and was fascinated by the intricate looking pattern of the bark.


As we neared the end of the loop, we came across a windmill that is used to pump water for wildlife in the area.
THE REFUGE HAS SEVERAL OF THESE TO HELP PROVIDE WATER TO LOCAL WILDLIFE

We finished the loop and made it back to the car.  We always carry water and everyone drinks on our hikes.  The girls always make a scene when we get back to the car.  We give them one final drink before we load up and they act like they have been on a deserted island for two weeks.  After drinks and snacks, we made our way home.

Wednesday evening was all about a beautiful sunset and less wind.  

After a meal of grilled cheese sandwiches, we relaxed with the radio and our puzzle books.

Another great day in this thing called life.






No comments:

Post a Comment