Friday, March 25, 2016

When no heat is a good thing

Rob and I decided to move into Lewis rather than renew the lease on our very cool/convenient but also very expensive apartment.
 Moving into the RV as winter approached may have seemed a bit odd to some folks but we figured if we could manage a winter in cold temps then we could manage pretty much anything.
 I did tons of research on how to make our stay warm and comfortable while still keeping Lewis' many parts from succumbing to the cold weather.  I was constantly innovating and exploring. I watched YouTube videos and was always Googling questions.  I had a thermostatic controlled space heater in the lower compartment that managed our water supply.  I fashioned a sort of underpinning using tarps and clamps and sealed off the wheel wells.  We used a space heater and the electric fireplace inside and we rarely needed the furnace.  The fireplace does not really have fire but it looks very real and is an excellent source of heat.  It is also very, very cozy.  Many owners of Class A RVs try to avoid using the furnace.  The propane tank on the Class A is fixed so when you run out of propane, you have to move the entire vehicle to refill.  Not a bad thing in most situations but if you have worked to prep your "nest" for the winter months then you do not want to move it.  Anyway, wintering in a RV is very doable.  Ours is listed as a four seasons vehicle so that helps.
Last night was the first night we did not need any heat.  Yippee!  We will need it tonight and probably other nights in this early spring season but we will take all the warm temps we can get.  I have the windows open and I am just using the screen door for now.  There is a nice breeze coming off the river on this lovely Good Friday.
                                                               MY INDOOR TULIPS

                                  LOVE THE COLORS AND WATCHING THEM BLOOM

                                  THE SPACE HEATER.  A MUST IF WINTERING IN A RV

                                          I SAW THIS TODAY....JUST HAD TO HAVE IT

                                           

2 comments:

  1. I wonder how many people winter in an RV? And if they do, do they make sure they drive south for the winter???

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was surprised with the number at Fort Meade campground and was even more surprised that quite a few were young families. The timing of our lease sort of chose the season for us but I am glad we started when it was harder. It forced us to really get to know the ins and outs of the rig. I will not, as a habit, choose cold winter climates. We will keep south during the winter months. We like that we know how to manage in the cold because we do hope to go west to Colorado and do spring skiing maybe in March/April 2017 or 2018.

    ReplyDelete