Sunday, November 27, 2016

Alabama, Thanksgiving and Vertigo and the Epley Maneuver

I have been off the grid a bit this past week.

I left Florida last Monday and headed to Alabama.  

Alabama:  the home Lynrd Skynrd, sweet tea, The Crimson Tide and ya'll.

Annie and I were here for Thanksgiving.  Rob was in Florida, Robb was in California and Megan was in England.

Thanksgiving with my family is grand.  Not fancy grand but family grand.  We usually have 20 or so people and everyone brings food.  Hugs are abundant and any differences of yesterday are put aside.  It is usually the one time that I get to see aunts, uncles, and cousins.


The food was awesome and I had a wonderful time.  The day was made better by the presence of small ones.  Our family has started a new generation(3rd cousins for me) but they do not always get to attend.

RAELYNN

CLAYTON

STEVE

The little ones were so sweet.  Notice the Gatorade and Oreo faces on the two boys?


 I missed my little family but they were all well and happy with what they were doing.

The rest of my week was spent getting our house ready to put on the market.  We have a house on a small creek.  My mother and her husband have been living in it for many years.  The house was getting hard to manage so we found them a smaller one, got them moved, and will now to get the creek house ready to sell.  Rob and Penny Lane are heading to Alabama today and we will spend the next ten days or so working.

Annie woke me up at around 0215 Saturday morning.  She needed to go out.  I got up to take her and immediately hit the floor.  I recognized what was happening but I was in denial so I tried again.  I went down a second time and had to admit that Vertigo had reared its ugly head.  I have had vertigo on and
 off since the kids were little but this was the worst in about 15 years.  Annie walked and I  crawled to the door so she could go out.  I got back to my room and just lay on the floor hoping it would pass.  I knew it wouldn't but....

Long story short, my friend Lisa got up a bit later (I am staying at her house), and she saw my feet sticking out the bedroom door. I had been laying on the floor for a couple of hours. She got me some water and I slowly worked my way back to bed.  I lay in bed for a bit and used my phone to Google self help for vertigo.  I watched a few Youtube videos on a procedure called the Epley Maneuver and tried it.  It made me very, very sick but it helped the vertigo in a big way.  After applying the maneuver and getting sick,  I was able to pull me head out of the toilet and get up and move around without the extreme dizziness.
The Epley Maneuver will make one extremely uncomfortable but the discomfort is brief.  It targets the positional vertigo and makes it very intense for around two minutes.  I was amazed with how effective it was.  If you ever have a case of positional vertigo, give it a try.  Not fun but it works and beats the heck out of lying flat on your back for hours or days.

It is Sunday and the Vertigo is better.  There is a hard frost on the ground but the sun is out.  Rob and Penny Lane are on their way.

Another great day in this thing we call life.


No comments:

Post a Comment