Saturday, November 19, 2016

Returning from the Keys, running on the beach, busy dolphins and Pelicans

Before we knew it, our week in the Keys had come to a close.

 We had our site until Thursday but we decided to leave a day early.  Rob's dad had been ill and was due to be released from the hospital.  We wanted to be there to make sure he made it back to his assisted living facility and that all his medical and personal needs were met.  We got Lewis loaded, put Dory on top of Clark and we were on our way.

Our trip back was good.  I had taken a little time to investigate using our Sunpass on the toll roads so we were able to avoid quite a bit of traffic.  We took our time and stopped for a picnic lunch and made sure the girls got a couple of walks.

We got to the house and backed Lewis into the driveway.  He barely fits but he does fit.  We could not leave him there for an extended amount of time but an overnight is ok.  We got most of the unloading done and planned to do the rest on Thursday.

I got up Thursday, got my run and went to work.  Lewis really needed a good washing.  Washing an RV is no small job but it is doable.  I had a bucket of soapy water, a really long scrub brush and a sprayer.  It took me over an hour but Lewis definitely needed it.

The RV is now sitting back on the storage lot.  It will stay there until our next adventure.  We are taking breaks with our trips right now so that we can be near Sam for the holidays.

Work on the house continues.  Our big project before we left for the Keys was to get the sprinkler system back in shape.  Like it or not, a lot of yards in Florida need sprinkler systems.  The grasses just would not survive the heat of summer.  Our system had been long neglected and I actually crawled around in the front yard listening for gurgling sounds of sprinklers that had been overgrown.  I actually found three and we dug them out and put on new sprinkler heads.  We located all the busted and inoperable parts and replaced them.  We now have an all around system that works.

We have also enjoyed kayaking, running on the beach and walking the dogs in the evening.






We were out in the kayak late Thursday afternoon and we sat and watched three dolphins frolic.  I suspect that they were actually doing something else but the presence of three of them threw me off a bit.  They were extremely active and let us get fairly close.  They splashed, came out of the water and stayed in an extremely tight group of two with the third lingering close by.  I did not have my camera but it was fascinating to watch.

We also a huge group of pelicans gather themselves and fly in an amazing formation.  I have never witnessed this.


There is an Atlas rocket launch scheduled for this evening.  I hope the weather cooperates and that we get to view it.

The holidays are fast approaching.  It is harder to recognize that winter is approaching when you are in this type of environment.  Our days are busy and we are good and tired at night.

Another great day in this thing we call life

No comments:

Post a Comment