The roads in LA are pretty bad. Most of them seem to be concrete and they have seams every 10 yards or so. That made for lots of thumping which made for lots of trembling for Penny. We only had to cover 27 miles before hitting the Texas state line so the experience was short lived.
We exited from I10 and headed south towards Kemah/Galveston.
Our RV park is nice. The spots are a little tight but it is very clean and everyone is friendly.
It was Super Bowl Sunday so there seemed to be a bit of prep going on. There were lots of grills and smokers fired up. Our neighbors had a whole chicken, some wings and something that included jalapeno halves cooking in their smoker. We got set up, got the grill going and cooked burgers and hotdogs. Penny and Annie love grill time. They sit by the door until Rob brings them their treat.
As we all know by now, the Super Bowl was entertaining. I was not a huge fan of either game so I was able to enjoy it. I would have appreciated a win by Atlanta but was not at all surprised that the Patriots made such an amazing comeback. I just cannot be a hater of talent mixed with hard work.
We got up Monday, had our coffee and went for a run. We decided to make our way over to the boardwalk. As we ran through a residential area, we saw many beautiful canals.
The canals are fairly narrow but they seem to make good use of them. My guess is the captain of the ship had better know what he/she is doing before navigating this waterway.
We got to the boardwalk
and ran along the water. The boardwalk includes restaurants, shops and an amusement park. There seemed to be quite a bit of prep going on for the upcoming season.
We did a little more exploring and then ran back to Lewis. The plan was to chill for a little while and then head to Galveston Bay. Rob had read that dogs were allowed on the beaches so we wanted to take the girls for a walk.
The Galveston Bay beaches are not beautiful but they are long and wide and the sand is good for walking or running. We were able to let both the girls off leash and Penny went into her usual overdrive. Annie also got going but at a more conservative pace.
As Penny was running around, she stuck her nose in the sand and then quickly ran away and continued to zoom around. When she got closer, I noticed that her muzzle was red and then realized that she was bleeding profusely from her nose. I got her to come to me and her nose, mouth were covered in blood and quite a bit had dripped to her feet.
I try to keep several large bottles of water in the car and this was the perfect time to have them. I started pouring water over the wound and poor Penny was snorting and licking. She did not seem to be in any pain. She just wanted us to let her play. She continued to bleed so I asked Rob to go ask around for some ice. I noticed that a nearby family had a cooler so I hoped they had some. He came back with the ice and I put it in a napkin and pressed it to the wound. It was not easy to get Penny to sit still and let me hold something cold on the fleshy part of her pink nose. I knew it was important that we get her cooled down and calm so that her heart rate would drop to a more normal pace.
Finally, after several liters of water and many bloody paper towels, the bleeding stopped. Penny was still pretty much clueless as to why we were bothering her. I was able to get a look at the wound and it was not bad but boy did it bleed. We got her and Annie loaded, turned on the air and decided to continue driving down the beach.
We decided to get out of the car again near the Galveston Bay Boardwalk. Parking was easy and the beaches were long and empty. Penny and Annie both stayed on leash.
THE BROWN STUFF IS DRIED SEAWEED
THE WAVES WERE BIGGER THAN WE EXPECTED
The beaches here are not the prettiest but the fact that they allow dogs puts them high on my list. They are flat, big and clean. Access is good and parking is pay by phone.
We returned to Lewis and I spent the next hour or so cleaning Clark. We had gotten quite a bit of sand and yuck in the car with our nose bleed incident but it all cleaned up nicely.
We had a nice salad for dinner and spent the rest of the evening taking it easy.
Another great day in this thing we call life.
No comments:
Post a Comment