Saturday, February 18, 2017

Arlington, TX, maintenance and an awesome trail run

We are staying in Arlington, TX which is city in between Dallas and Fort Worth.  Arlington is fairly large with a population of around 380,000.  It is 12 miles east of Fort Worth and 20 miles west of downtown Dallas.

Arlington plays host to the Texas Rangers and Dallas Cowboys stadiums.  It is also the home of the original Six Flags Park and UT Arlington.

OBVIOUSLY NOT MY PICTURE BUT A GOOD COLLECTION OF LOCAL ATTRACTIONS

We are not fans of the Cowboys or the Rangers but we love sports and always enjoy checking out new stadiums.  We may take a tour of the Cowboys stadium later in the week.

Rob had to be away for a day or so earlier this week so the girls and I stayed in the motorhome and did some work.  

I knew that I needed to change the anode rod in the water heater.  I figured getting it done while he was away was a good use of time.  I had ordered the parts and had them delivered to the camp office.

An anode rod is a rod made of magnesium or aluminum that's formed around a steel core wire and is screwed into the bottom front of the RV water heater tank.  When the tank is filled with water, an electrochemical process begins whereby sacrificial anodes are consumed to protect a small amount of exposed steel.  Basically, the rod "grabs" stuff out of the water that could cause the tank to corrode. 
 A new rod looks like this.

A used rod looks like this.

IT WAS DEFINITELY TIME TO CHANGE THE ANODE ROD

I had watched a couple of youtube videos on the process and had also read my manual so I felt pretty good about the job.  I turned off the hot water heater and the water to the RV.  I got my tools ready and thought I was on my way.  It was then that I discovered that I did not have the 1 1/16" socket that I needed to get the old rod out and the new rod in.  I got on my bike, rode to Pep Boys and got a socket.  I got back to the RV and was ready to go.  Nope.  I did not have the extension I needed to attach the driver to the socket.  I got back on my bike, rode back to Pep Boys and got the extension.  I rode back to Lewis and was finally ready and properly equipped. 

 I usually pay better attention to detail on things like this but I was so honed in on not getting electrocuted or burned that having the right socket did not cross my mind.  I just assumed I had it.  Not a big deal and good lesson learned.

Getting the old anode rod out was not too hard but it did take some elbow grease.  The rod base is steel so rust is always a bit of a problem.  I got it loosened and as I got to the last thread, the pressure of 10 gallons of water showed itself.  I got a quick little blast of water mixed with a bit of sediment.  The water was not hot because I had given it time to cool.  I also flushed the tank while I had access to the inside.

I allowed the tank time to drain and then set about putting the new rod in.  I used plumber's tape to ensure a good seal.  With the new rod in place, I turned the water back on and looked for leaks.  I waited a bit before turning the water heater back on.  One should always try to avoid turning on  a water heater element before the tank is full.  The element needs water to heat or it will "burn" out.

I was really excited to get that job done on my own.  The next time will be much easier and I will be well equipped. 

On Friday, Rob returned from his trip and after he had a bit of time to unwind, we got in the car and drove to Cedar Hill Preserve.  The preserve is an Audubon preserve and is noted for its good trails.  

We arrived, looked at the map and chose to tackle Cedar Ridge Trail.  We expected it to be hilly and we were not disappointed.  Good steeps down and then back up.  Footing was good but could be tricky in places.  We had to pay attention lest we crash and burn.

FUN, FUN, FUN

THIS BIT OF TRAIL WAS QUITE STEEP.  WE CAME TO MANY AREAS LIKE THIS

HILLTOP VIEW OF A LAKE

A NOT SO SUBTLE REMINDER

We saw several hikers and a few other runners.  Rob and I were about 30 yards apart and as we  approached a very steep part of the trail, two hikers stepped aside to let me pass.  The hikers were women and they clapped and yelled as I started up the steep.  They continued to yell "go, go, go....your ass looks great!" as I made my way up.  I could not help but smile and yell "thank you" as I got to the top.  They also cheered for Rob.  I love women who try to raise up other women.

As I was running, I realized how much I had missed good trails.  I still get my runs, but not much trail.  Rob and I have to work harder to find good places to run that do not involve concrete.

We finished the run and took our endorphin laced selves back to the RV.  We spent the rest of the day relaxing. 

Friday night is homemade pizza night so we had our dinner, watched a bit of TV, read and went to bed.

Another great day in this thing we call life.




No comments:

Post a Comment