We parked near one of the paths and made our way to the Comal River. The Comal is fed by the natural springs that I talked about in my last post. The water is crystal clear and seems to be a very popular place for tubing.
LOVELY PATH ALONG THE RIVER
THERE IS A CHUTE TO THE LEFT OF THE SPILLWAYS AND TOOBERS(THIS IS HOW THEY SPELL IT) GO DOWN THE CHUTE INTO THE LOWER SECTION
THE CHUTE
We kept running along the river and came to the back side of Schlitterbahn. Schlitterbahn is a fairly well known water park and resort. The original is located in New Braunfels and there is also one in Galveston and Kansas City. Each park hosts many water slides and other water based attractions. I have never visited a Schlitterbahn park but would imagine it is good family fun. I did read that they allow families to bring picnics into the park with them. Good for them.
We made a pretty good loop run along the river and through town and ended up back at the car without much repeat of terrain. I love loop or point to point runs. My least favorite run is an out and back unless it is trail running.
When we got back to Lewis, we had a bite to eat, did some admin stuff and then took a ride to the historic town of Gruene.
TEXAS MOUNTAIN LAUREL. THIS FLOWER SMELLS SWEETLY EDIBLE
A TIDBIT OF HISTORY
Gruene (/ˈɡriːn/ green)[1] is a former town in Comal County in the U.S. state of Texas. Once a significant cotton-producing community along the Guadalupe River, the town has now shifted its economy to one supported primarily by tourism. Gruene is now a district within the city limits of New Braunfels, and much of it was listed in the National Register of Historic Places on April 21, 1975. It is part of the San Antonio-New Braunfels Metropolitan Area
Gruene is an interesting little spot and worth the time to take a walk through. We had the girls with us so we did not go inside many of the stores. The stores are original and eclectic. Living in a motorhome helps tamp down impulse buying of "things". This is a good thing.
We walked to the Guadalupe River and Penny Lane got another swim in another body of water.
THE WATER WAS SWIFT SO SHE WAS NOT ALLOWED TO GO VERY FAR
After a nice walk and a Penny Lane swim, we headed back to the RV. Rob did some paperwork and I did a bit of maintenance on Lewis.
One easy to forget but very necessary part of maintaining Lewis and checking the marine batteries for water. Lewis has four deep cycle marine batteries that are an integral part of the electrical system. The batteries are under the step and getting to them is a pain and getting the caps off to check the water is a bigger pain.
WAY TOO MANY CABLES AND CAPS BUT IT GETS EASIER EACH TIME I DO IT
I topped off the batteries and then went out to check the generator and water heater. I will be replacing the anode rod in the water heater as soon as I get the one that I ordered.
With maintenance and admin done, we got cleaned up and went back to Gruene to meet a friend for dinner. Our friend, Sue Golding, was a fellow seminar member at The Army War College in Carlisle, PA. We had not seen Sue since 2002 but she and I have been FB friends for quite a while. She noticed my check in at New Braunfels and messaged me that she lived nearby. We decided to meet for dinner. Dinner was lovely and catching up is always nice. Sue also has an RV and hopes to be on the road soon.
We said our goodbyes and made our way back to the camp. The weather was turning a little cooler so we were in for the night.
Tuesday was a travel day. We were up and out by 0900. We were headed to the Dallas/Fort Worth area and had a good time of it getting there. We arrived at our KOA campground and got set up. It was a bit rainy and windy. Setting up always seems harder when the weather is crap.
After setting up we went out for dinner. Rob had found a place for us to get Pho. Pho is a Vietnamese soup made with rice noodles, broth, and spices. Meat is sometimes added. I love Pho and I really love it when the weather is cool. The large bowls were huge.
TIME FOR PHO
We added an order of spring rolls to the meal and tucked in for some good eats. Eating soup with chop sticks sounds odd but the soup is full of noodles and bits of this and that. I use the sticks because it forces me to take my time. Spoons are also provided for the yummy broth.
The Pho really hit the spot and was so filling. We made the short ride back to our site and took the girls for a post dinner walk. It was still cool and windy so we turned on a bit of heat enjoyed the rest of the evening inside.
Another great day in this thing we call life.
No comments:
Post a Comment